vitesse fuel tank sender

Gadgetman

Which is the correct part number sender for a bi metal fuel gauge with voltage stabilizer?

I have a lock ring type tank and someone has fitted a screw in type sender / transmitter with the base plate of the sender ground down to fit a lock ring retainer!

Is there a difference in the transmitter resistances? My gauge is next to useless for a fuel level! I have checked the gauge with the old smiths test box and it reads correctly, so I must have a dodgy transmitter or the wrong type if there is a significant difference or need bending to get the range right.

its not unusual for  a 6 hole to be cut down to fit into a newer bayonet tank especially on the early cars like your 1600 which should have non stabilised gauges 

you cannot use a stabilised sender on non stabilised gauges 

there was a screw fitting sender for stabilised gauges   ,probably whats been fitted 

having 6 holes is not the bible per model 

you will not find a locking ring sender thats compatible with non stabilised gauges

you can only use a cut down 6 hole non stabilised sender ,  not a 6 hole stabilised    hence your right funny reading

the easiest option  may  be to convert to stabilised gauges and senders  

sorry partslist for 1600 is out in the cold right now 

Pete

Thanks Pete

mines one of the later 1600’s (July 66) but I think it’s had a few odd replacements in its life! 
Now the temp gauge is sorted & accurate ( had a duff stabilizer and sticky gauge) it’s time to sort the fuel gauge.... sounds like new sender time, they are cheap enough and there’s a good used one on flea bay

so you have a 1600 with voltage stabiliser and slow moving  needle  thermo bimetal gauges    ??? 

not an instant needle response moving iron gauges   ( ie the needles wag about on bumpy roads 0

i was not aware any 1600 had stabilised gauges  

if thats the case the later sender with locking bayonet ring should be fine 

just to say both fuel and temp have very different senders   between stabilised and non stabilised systems 

neither can be intermixed 

Pete

Pete

Correct no waggy needles ( save those for the vaccination centers....)both have Jaeger bi metal gauges, could be someone fitted them at a later date without the senders ( I fitted a new correct temp sensor with my new engine build) new fuel sender time... I thought I’d got it reading right by bending the arm but it’s no way near linear! 

if whats fitted is the orig then readings will be  wildly different 

order a new stabilised one and smile  Ha !

its obviously had a new /or replacement tank fitted , the only  sold as 'new' is  Herald size and does not have the drain spout

as thats what i put in the Vit 6   new  from fitchetts  and hence the idea of trimming the 6 hole  sender to fit in the ring 

Pete

So there are numerous fuel sender and fuel gauge combinations in summary;

• Stabilized (10.5V) & non stabilized (12V+),gauges, what are the markings on the face of these gauges to indicate which is which?  
  • Two types of sender fitments, earlier 6 bolt and later locking ring.
  • Two types of sender, for stabilized and non stabilized gauges

Generally the later type locking ring sender isn't compatible with the non stabilized gauges.

The locking ring sender flange has to be modified/enlarged (see later post re stepped annulus)(can be trimmed down) and drilled to fit the earlier fuel tank 6 bolt mounting, but check that it connects to a stabilized gauge..

Are the sender arms and floats similar for the small and large Herald/Vitesse fuel tanks?

Is this  correct, if not pls advise corrections

Agreed & Thanks, just checked mine where I've had to fit an original NOS IThink AMI CKD supply Aus made I believe small Herald tank into the Mk2 Vitesse which originally was a seal ring type at 2.375in OD Sender flange onto the Herald bolted Sender tank flange which is 3in OD.

I had to have a stepped Annulus ring made to take the smaller ring seal sender flange onto the larger earlier bolted tank flange, I'd forgotten I'd done that, plenty of aircraft gasket glue applied to ensure a seal. 

I've amended the original post!

12 hours ago, NonMember said:

I think it's the other way round - trim the ring of holes off a 6-hole sender and it will fit into a locking ring tank.

Reminds me of the Irish counterfeiter who found that if you rounded the edges of a 50p, you could make a 10p. 

You can buy aftermarket senders; a lot of kit-car suppliers have them. Pick the length, bend to shape, add a float which you can buy  if not already attached and that's it. Hopefully.

$_57-9.JPG