Spitfire 1500

Hi.  Will incorrect shimming (chassis to suspension arms ) cause the steering to be heavy?

My spitfire is signficantly heavier to manouver from a standstill than my midget that has alloys fitted with larger tyres. Steering moves freely enough when jacked up and i have oiled the trunnions.  Any advice or thoughts.

I run 25psi all round on my spit. It does have rotoflex, so probably slightly unusual.

Tyres are 185 width. Stationary it is a bit heavy, but then we were taught not to turn the steering wheel until you are moving! Once underway, I really like the way the steering feels.

This is with a 13" steering wheel. Smaller would be heavier, larger easier. It is also possible to fit a GT6/vitesse pinion to the steering rack to make things easier.

I bought a RWD 67k Dolomite 1500TC. Steering was SO heavy it was a pig to drive and as to parking . . . . . Anyway, checked pressures and correct to book at 24lb I think. Anyway put them up to 30 and the difference was amazing, not to much harder but a lot easier to park. Still heavy at parking but acceptable. A small amount of play in the bottom steering joint made the steering unpleasant (steering all the while), so replaced and now excellent. There was very little visible play in the joint but when moving the weight of the car made it very noticeable. Once again, new one fitted and steering now superb. It still rolls on bends and corners so next job . . . . . . . well, you all know how it goes!