Spring Compressor For Hire?

Dallas Herald

Hi all,

My front suspension refurb is going really well with the main bits all now derusted, primed and painted. Sadly, it really shows up just how bad (ugly) my shocks and springs are. So, as with many of our jobs I reckon ‘I’ll just do that while I’m here’ has seen an order for some shiny new ones. 

However, confident they won’t come ‘built’ I wondered if anyone might have a spring compressor I might be able to borrow/hire, please?

Happy to arrange courier pick up and return to ensure safe, distanced use but also happy to make the journey if you’re nearby. 

Thank you 🙏🏼 

It rather depends on what type of spring compressor you're after.

I believe the club currently offer a device with a full plate at each end, which should be the safest option as it can't slip off (the shocker pokes through a hole in each plate). I can't help with one of those.

What I do have is a pair of hook-on-the-side-of-the-spring jobs, which I think were the club's offering back when I first changed front springs in 1988. They work and are solidly built so won't fail, but using them safely is non-trivial. You may get a better offer from someone else!

DH,

I had a set of hook-on-the-sides but I binned them as too dangerous to use! 😱They fly off without warning and I wouldn’t lend them even if I still had them. 😆

Go for the plate at either end ones NM describes. I hired some from the TSSC Thames Area. Thames are in Windsor, but I’m sure there’s an area nearer you, most have tools for hire and spring compressor are popular. 

look on the front of this site for Areas and contacts.

Just checked, you’re in Cambridge? Tom Hartley’s area is.....Cambridge.

Doug

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

DH,

I had a set of hook-on-the-sides but I binned them as too dangerous to use!

Doug

I use those on the moderns but find no matter how careful I am they always ruin the paint or powder coating on the springs. I did buy a good reputable set as they're under terrific strain when compressed and I don't want cheap imported metal fracturing on me.

This guy is selling a set of the specially-made Triumph compressors on eBay, which he claims is cheaper than TSSC...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-HERALD-SPITFIRE-GT6-VITESSE-FRONT-SPRING-STRUT-SHOCK-COMPRESSOR-SAFESHOX/351976077520?hash=item51f368b8d0:g:FOUAAOSw5cNYmdIX

2 hours ago, Dallas Herald said:

I’ll give the Cambridge team a shout

Well, when I changed the springs on my Spitfire a couple of years back none of the Cambridge regulars had one, so I stuck with my old and "dangerous" ones. That might have changed, but I suspect Pete's may be your best bet.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

a quick update on progress. First pic showing the rebuilt suspension following the refurb and the rather ugly sight of the old shocks and spring. With grateful thanks to Pete at Herts and Beds area, the compressor has been brilliant and I’m now 1/4 of the way through with the old taken apart and the top plate derusted and primed.  
Will hopefully get the satin black on it today and then rebuilt. 
Only have to wait a couple of days for the correct bushes to arrive from Rimmers and it can go back on the car! Offside will be done 🥳👍🏼

1069CCCA-9077-43E7-9B71-44CF0E22BEF2.jpeg

86125A6B-CFD6-49CA-9E3D-4DAA66DF99E8.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:have you given them a pump to see if there is any damping under the  patina
35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

have you given them a pump to see if there is any damping under the  patina

Pete

Pete

I’ve extended and closed the new ones a couple of times to ensure a smooth movement and they’re ready to go on the car. The old ones still have some damping although considerably less than the new 😳

I note when dismantling the old set up that each bush has a cup both above and below (of course with the top plate between) so, from top to bottom, diagrammatically, in words:

nut
nut
bush cup
bush
bush cup
top plate 
bush cup 
bush
bush cup
shock 

New shock only had cups where bold. Should I opt for the above or only top and bottom? Conscious that the top plate has ‘cups’ as part of it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at that very page over the last month or so 😂

The diagram at the link seems to suggest the wordgram I’ve listed above. (Yet Qty required stated as 6 required?? 3 on each side??).

Might just leave them off, avoid the confusion 😬

The problem is that, because that diagram is from the parts catalogue rather than the WSM, it's not always trustworthy on sequencing. You'll note that it shows NO cups or washers between the top plate and the shock. Figure 28 on page 4-113 of the WSM shows the exploded view of the coil-over sub-assembly, and explicitly puts locknut-nut-cup-bush-pan-bush-cup-shock

Take the top plate as a sandwich-plate; you'll have a bush above, and a bush below; each bush requires two cups. If the top plate already has a cup welded on top and below, that's one half of what you'll need. So on top: two nuts, one plate, bush. The spring top plate then takes the place of the next two cups, one on top and one below, so below you have: bush, bush cup, shock. Same as Rob has put (which of course I just read after I'd posted, myself....!)

If you have a different spring top plate, with no welded cups (as sometimes found on early cars), then you'll need to add your own in place, but these are rare.

B2D58FE7-C469-4345-B0BB-0279BA6A1650_1_105_c.jpg.b6ffdec42348a2beb1e34c5eb2045c12.jpg  DF7B4394-C32B-49B7-B31A-D9BD44FB0DC3_1_105_c.jpg.e78aeebd3783191fd181bb046363093a.jpg

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

different spring top plate, with no welded cups (as sometimes found on early cars)

hence my note about getting the cups located  Im sure my 64 Vit6 had two pairs of cups and the shoulder on the cup has to locate nicely

in the top plate  hole   but the  1600  OE parts list only quotes  4   per car not 4 per side as we needed     all down to triumf confusious

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

hence my note about getting the cups located  Im sure my 64 Vit6 had two pairs of cups and the shoulder on the cup has to locate nicely

in the top plate  hole   but the  1600  OE parts list only quotes  4   per car not 4 per side as we needed     all down to triumf confusious

Pete

I presume that's why they added welded cups to later models; as you can see from the pic below the other one of my early pair is slightly ovalled, though definitely not the worst I've seen..

DSCF0903.jpg.b8538ab9e7e9680b22e9741ce3f3a897.jpg