Feeling a bit sheepish about my Alpine

SixasStandard

Hello All,

Spent a very entertaining couple of hours yesterday afternoon removing the front suspension crossmember on my Sunbeam Alpine, as part of my car's body restoration. With the current restrictions (plus the fact I'm a Billy no mates), I had to tackle the job on my own, although I imagine that most classic owners out there are in the same boat at the moment.

The removal of the suspension crossmember on an Alpine is a straightforward job when the car is already stripped down, with the engine, trans and steering all removed. There are only 4 bolts securing the crossmember to the front chassis legs, and these are accessed from below via holes in the lower wishbones. I needed to jack the car up first and support the front of the chassis on axle stands with wood blocks to spread the load, removed the front wheels, then prepped for the job by applying penetrating oil to the wells on the top of the front chassis legs where the front crossmember bolts emerge, the rear ones are inaccessible, so you just have to trust that torque will do the job for those. Tools required were a socket, extension bar, breaker bar with UJ, a length of pipe (I used a 3 foot length of thick wall steel pipe), and a low wheeled trolley. The front suspension and crossmember is a heavy unit, so I supported the weight with an engine hoist, and positioned the wheeled trolley below it. With the weight supported you can then undo the 4 bolts, and take my word for it I really needed that length of pipe to apply the required torque to get those bolts out!! One in particular finally went with a crack like a rifle shot, it was that tight. With the bolts out I lowered the crossmember with the engine hoist onto the trolley, and pulled it out forward. It was then that I noticed something drop out of the N/S suspension..........picture attached!! It looks like it originated in a sheep..........and I think it's fair to say that it's been up there for quite some time!!

I've found plenty of assorted ephemera in surprising places in cars over the years, but this has to rate as the most unexpected!!

Ian     

DSC07232.JPG

DSC07233.JPG

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...