OIL PUMP

Paul Amey

Hi everyone,

I have a Vitesse Mk1 2.0 and am looking for a new oil pump. All the pumps I have seen have a microphone style strainer on the them which does not look like it will fit in my sump. The pump I currently have had a tapered tube that slots through a small hole into the lower chamber of the sump (under a large flat filter).

Any ideas?

Paul

Here's a pic of the two types if anyone's wondering; first thing I checked was they they both fit the same pump body, so my first instinct would be to simply swap them over, unless yours is seriously worn, or unless the different angle of entry of each might affect the oil flow? One's central and the other off to the right... I don't know if it will affect the pump operation but always open to correction!

A9AC4CB2-9081-47A3-9DD9-B60EB26C89DF_1_105_c.jpg.901bb12cb949c9bd383360645a36e443.jpg

35 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Here's a pic of the two types

I think those are both later - Mk2 - types. The early Mk1 engine with the gauze across the sump has, I believe, a simple vertical, circular tube.

As far as I know, the later pump will fit an early engine without problems if you remove the gauze from the sump. Its purpose is to catch larger particles, which is the same function the "microphone head" gauze (right hand example in Colin's picture) performs.

I too have a late Mk1 which was originally fitted with the type of pump Paul describes but I changed to the later microphone model. It was worthwhile because the new aluminium bodied one has a larger flow capacity but I did have to remove the sump gauze.

One other thing Paul is that you should check the internal clearances of any new pump as there have been rumours of them being worse than the pumps theyre meant to replace...

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

I think those are both later - Mk2 - types. The early Mk1 engine with the gauze across the sump has, I believe, a simple vertical, circular tube.

I'd forgotten about that type, but thought it was earlier Heralds and the like before the later pumps came in with the 'microphone' head, rather than the 6-cylinder. I'm now wondering if the gauze can simply be removed altogether; if it wasn't necessary in later cars then it may be the easiest option for use of a later pump.

It was the higher capacity that persuaded me as I think my engine needs it - its still on the original unmachined crank. I prefer the sump gauze design as its got more surface area then the microphone type so less likely to block up but it wasnt possible to keep it....

3 minutes ago, Paul Amey said:

Thank you all very much for your help. I guess the pump's Rimmer's sell are a good quality?

If county, they can be variable at best, many are/were outside the acceptable tolerances for a used pump.

If you want a good pump, chris witor sells a blueprinted version that has been machined to be within tolerance. 

https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=217488RP

• 2 weeks later...