Jump to content

Stainless braided hose - or attempting to get the clutch working properly 🤔 then doing it twice cos you got it wrong in the first place!


Recommended Posts

Changing the old plastic line for a braided one.

20210324_111135.thumb.jpg.53d19a8e0d4b1e9c430b1ce21e86cbc2.jpg

Only one problem,  supplied wrong joiner for the clutch slave.

20210324_112248.thumb.jpg.64c0fd48f77e567667d551ed24a988fc.jpg

not what you want to find out!

watch this space, fingers crossed local factors can sort otherwise  i will make a short link pipe. ,

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

whilst this is aimed at TR the parts are all the same family heres buckeyes notes on clutches  its  worth a read if you need a dowel bolt rimmers sell a supposed HD version https://www.bucke

In my experience, yes. Check you still have anti-rattle 'button' and spring fitted.  Mine was missing and fitting one made a lot of difference. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008679 - 11242

I might have a spare 2.5 flywheel about. let me know if you don't get anywhere

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

guess the std slave is a normal 3/8unf threaded  unions with 1/2" AF hex 

 but  some repro are 10mm metric AF and heck knows what thread size ............  or worse 

Pete

The standard hose fitted! Luckily there is a good hydraulic firm in Downham that supplied the hopefully right one.

16165898159747498297771207763062.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

i used a similar braided flex on the Vit6 but the 2000 still has the red plastic

which reminds me on trucks when this was used ,all beit with higher clutch line pressures the red stuff would balloon a bit when hot which lost 

throwout travel ,  enter aero style  linear race cables which only flex/ bend in one plane and that caused another problem in routing it flat 

Pete

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Where did your braided pipe come from?  I bought/fitted one last year and didn't have any issues with the connectors.

Chris witter. Sorted now with a washer against the slave cylinder. Bit of a blead. Gear selection better but needs a firm hand.  With clutch pedal pressed down there is no creep and i can select any gear. I might be me used to rx8 gearbox in spitfire. Its ok for now but next stage when i remove the gearbox i will replace the clutch and check over the release mechanism. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Chris witter. Sorted now with a washer against the slave cylinder. Bit of a blead. Gear selection better but needs a firm hand.  With clutch pedal pressed down there is no creep and i can select any gear. I might be me used to rx8 gearbox in spitfire. Its ok for now but next stage when i remove the gearbox i will replace the clutch and check over the release mechanism. 

Same place I got mine.  Guess it's one of those "What slave cylinder do you have fitted, 50 years after the car was nailed together in Coventry".

Gear selection sounds about right for the big Triumph 'box - especially when compared to a Mazda one (and the RX8 gearchange is anything like as nice as the MX5 one).  I find it to be...unwilling from cold but OK once there's a but of warmth in the oil.  It's never what you'd call 'keen' though, much more a gentleman who walks, never runs than a heal/toe hooligan grabbing gears in the blink of an eye.

 

Oh and on the release arms I've yet to have one with a broken bolt...until I tried to remove it, at which point every single one has sheared 😒.  Thankfully every single one has also been on a comically warn shaft, so out comes the angle grinder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Same place I got mine.  Guess it's one of those "What slave cylinder do you have fitted, 50 years after the car was nailed together in Coventry".

Gear selection sounds about right for the big Triumph 'box - especially when compared to a Mazda one (and the RX8 gearchange is anything like as nice as the MX5 one).  I find it to be...unwilling from cold but OK once there's a but of warmth in the oil.  It's never what you'd call 'keen' though, much more a gentleman who walks, never runs than a heal/toe hooligan grabbing gears in the blink of an eye.

 

Oh and on the release arms I've yet to have one with a broken bolt...until I tried to remove it, at which point every single one has sheared 😒.  Thankfully every single one has also been on a comically warn shaft, so out comes the angle grinder.

If they had supplied the same connector that went into the master cylinder it would have fitted. The fitting was ok for the hose but too small for the slave . The original pipe fitted fine! Just gone back to the car and no leaks. Glad to hear this is normal gear selection! Been ten years since my mk1 so hard to remember. The rx8 gearbox is silky smooth and you can change really quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

if youre sure the thing is fully bled  you could raise the slave rod up a hole on the lever

the lever should be     >----/    if its >----\  the pins failed   so it  travels from 7 oclock to 5oclock 

 

Pete

Its more like the first >---/. Got the mrs to be the pump monkey. No bubbles left but its a small container for the fluid for the master cylinder.  Meaning we had to stop to top up a few times before it got too low

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the lever should be     >----/    if its >----\  the pins failed   so it  travels from 7 oclock to 5oclock

You also need to check the slave cylinder position and be prepared to get a bit creative these days it seems.  On mine with a new cylinder just fitted "correctly" everything connected up OK...but with the slave piston basically at the end of the cylinder - which was never going to work.  Think I've ended up with longer bolts and the cylinder padded rear-wards with 2 or 3 plain nuts.  Puts the piston a reasonable way back down the boar so it actually has somewhere to go when you press the clutch pedal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mjit said:

You also need to check the slave cylinder position and be prepared to get a bit creative these days it seems.  On mine with a new cylinder just fitted "correctly" everything connected up OK...but with the slave piston basically at the end of the cylinder - which was never going to work.  Think I've ended up with longer bolts and the cylinder padded rear-wards with 2 or 3 plain nuts.  Puts the piston a reasonable way back down the boar so it actually has somewhere to go when you press the clutch pedal!

Will have to have a little play next week as back to work tonight, finish monday morning. Have MOT booked for Tuesday morning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok couple, well three questions.

1. Gearbox gear change a bit notchey cold but smooth warm?

2. Gear leaver a bit flappy but does not turn, ie loose feel?

3. On the Mot today i got to walk under to have a good look. The mount bar is bolted on in four places to the bodywork. Someone has put 3 washers between the mount and body on each bolt/stud. Looks like to lower the back of the gearbox, why?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

have they added washers as the studs became thread bound   seen these overtightend and the stud and its top bridge strap pull the floor down inside 

should   just be the 4 bushes one washer under the  support nut 

remove the console base  its only clipped in place  then a quick push and turn the cap and the gearsticks in your hands 

there is a spring anti sizzle button wich may have failed there is 2 designs of pivot pins  one you adjust one is fixed 

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2021 at 08:43, Pete Lewis said:

have they added washers as the studs became thread bound   seen these overtightend and the stud and its top bridge strap pull the floor down inside 

should   just be the 4 bushes one washer under the  support nut 

remove the console base  its only clipped in place  then a quick push and turn the cap and the gearsticks in your hands 

there is a spring anti sizzle button wich may have failed there is 2 designs of pivot pins  one you adjust one is fixed 

Pete

Looked at the gearstick, nothing  wrong! Its the gearbox thats a bit notchy. I will lift up the car tomorrow and change the gearbox oil and top up the diff. The washers are on the body side! Lowering the gearbox, as you say if threads are worn a few extra washers will put the nut in a good place but i would not place  them there!

At some point i will change the clutch, any recommendations or ones to avoid. I am gathering up the bits now. No rush as it does work, does not creap but as stated can be notchy to engage gear.

20210331_155111.thumb.jpg.65968b790aeec1bcab83a24541a73888.jpg

Found these wires while looking at the gear leaver. Any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Mathew changed the title to Stainless braided hose - or attempting to get the clutch working properly 🤔
On 30/03/2021 at 22:29, Mathew said:

Ok couple, well three questions.

1. Gearbox gear change a bit notchey cold but smooth warm?

2. Gear leaver a bit flappy but does not turn, ie loose feel?

3. On the Mot today i got to walk under to have a good look. The mount bar is bolted on in four places to the bodywork. Someone has put 3 washers between the mount and body on each bolt/stud. Looks like to lower the back of the gearbox, why?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

  1. In my experience, yes.
  2. Check you still have anti-rattle 'button' and spring fitted.  Mine was missing and fitting one made a lot of difference. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008679 - 112424 and 137988

As for the wires - what's the car's commission number?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mjit said:
  1. In my experience, yes.
  2. Check you still have anti-rattle 'button' and spring fitted.  Mine was missing and fitting one made a lot of difference. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008679 - 112424 and 137988

As for the wires - what's the car's commission number?

Thankyou, literally at rimmers now 12.49 and they have added to order. Lucky as its taken two hours to get here!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that happy with the supplied clutch, im sure its ok but not the make i expected . Borg and beck , at 119 pounds i could have got it 30 pounds cheaper elsewhere and not an ap one as the site suggested 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked at Automotive Products in Leamington for 6 months prior to university.  Borg and Beck was part of Automotive Products.  That was many years ago; the way trade names have been sold on, for example Rolls Royce and Bentley, who knows who the current owners are and whether they are still the same company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Mathew changed the title to Stainless braided hose - or attempting to get the clutch working properly 🤔 then doing it twice cos you got it wrong in the first place!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...