Triumph Herald Shock Absorbers

Herald shocks, is there anything wrong with the standard ones being sold? 

Asking as all searches bring up the usual adjustable KONI, GAZ and SPAX, no one seems to fit standard anymore or at least doesn't mention it.

I don't need adjustable, just a decent replacement for front and rear, unless there are advantages to fitting the adjustable versions.

When the car is back on the road(hopefully next year) it will probably do no more than 3k miles a year.

Thanks in advance

I dont suppose they are the same quality as the originals which had lasted a long time but then the mileage most of our cars do in the second half of their lives is usually a lot less than the first...

If you do use I would recommend painting them straight away as the standard coating is very thin and quickly deteriorates on being exposed to the elements.

After a high amount of searching , last year I finally tracked down a pair of KYB shocks which have had a very good write up here. I don't know if they do them for the herald but may be worth a search. I have not fitted them yet but if anything like the Spitfire version, they could be very rare.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-R1543-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-PAIR-SHOCKER-OE-QUALITY/303819842093?epid=249519190&hash=item46bd12e22d:g:WfsAAOSwmOhf4NZr

These look like the pair that I've just fitted to the Herald; plain black no frills but bought at the International a few years back. I reckon they'll be fine for the sort of driving I'll be doing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Oh Lord I dream of a tub that good... :)

To be honest its not that bad, but there are some bodges that need replacing and some welding on the chassis.

I thought if I've gone this far I might as well do the lot. It needs to be repainted from green to original slate grey, so one of the things I need to find is a local place to strip the body and chassis back to metal so I can see exactly what I've got.

1 hour ago, andybeau said:

To be honest its not that bad, but there are some bodges that need replacing and some welding on the chassis.

I thought if I've gone this far I might as well do the lot. It needs to be repainted from green to original slate grey, so one of the things I need to find is a local place to strip the body and chassis back to metal so I can see exactly what I've got.

No!! Don't so it! It goes off to the sandblaster looking vaguely like a car and comes back looking like lace curtains. It's a totally depressing experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, andybeau said:

. Although feel retired now with furlough, brilliant 🤭

Being retired is worse than working you don't get holidays, sick leave, weekends off, bank holidays . . .

It is  7 days a week 52 weeks a year 😒

2 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

And everybody assumes you are doing nothing so 'can you give me a hand, it won't take long'.

Especially 'Er Indoors... you spend the day weeding, gardening, cleaning gutters, preparing meals, polishing and cleaning inside the house, setting the fire etc then SHE comes home and looks round before sniffily commenting: "You haven't done as much as I thought you would...."

I'm just over three years retired and the days are flying. There aren't enough hours in the day, however lockdown has been the greatest bonus for the garage as there's been nowhere to go to get DIY stuff for the house. :)

On the down side the writing and recording markets are glutted with people working from home so agents are becoming very picky. I wish they'd all get back to work and leave the world free for the pensioners again.

• Haha 1