What best for fuel pump?

Tipidave

My recently fitted new fuel pump has failed within a few miles and i really do not want to exchange it for another. The quality isn’t good. Despite assurances from the vendor.

My previous (non original)fuel pump was pushing out way too high a pressure. So I have taken the spring out of the new pump and fitted it to the old. Still it is pushing out 4 psi which is just enough that after I switch off it slowly leaks some fuel into the carb throat and out of the spindle and on to the manifold. It does this when cold so is not related to the temperature. I have gently tamped the float valve to ensure a good seat and believe it too be good.

I am trying to get hold of an original ac delco pump in order to get the pressure down to a level that is tolerated by the valve in the carb. Does anyone else know of anyone who is selling a good quality replacement part with the correct rating?

Or where i can get a correctly specified spring?

or should i be considering a fuel cut off solenoid?

In all  other respects the car is running beautifully at the moment but I am not happy to have the garage reeking of fuel and do not want to drive it with this problem.

As ever your advice gratefully received.

Im surprised at this problem because normally the float valve should hold the level in the chamber well below the overflow and jet levels. There should be plenty of capacity for a little extra after stopping as the volume of fuel to be released is minimal (liquid being essential non compressible).

Most systems lose this pressure pretty quickly either into the carb reservoir or back through the fuel pumps two non return valves...

The pressure from the pump alone is too high... so it has an adjustable pressure reducing filter in line. I think that the fuel on the high pressure side is bleeding over when stopped.it isn’t  a huge volume but any is too much ! 

I dont know your type of carb but are you sure the float is good and the level set correctly because as I say there should be enough space above the float level in the reservoir to accomodate the excess to depressurise the system...

The carb is the b30 solex. The only adjustment to float level is the thickness of the washers that sits under the float valve. I have experimented with thicker but no difference. Also tried clamping off the fuel hose before carb upon stopping and that did stop any leaking. Pretty sure it is all down to not having a correctly regulated fuel pump. Hence my request for suggested known good suppliers and or a suitable source of replacement springs. 

this is a B30 type   downdraft solex on a 1147   its a bit daft springs are not in the repair kits ....nuts 

there are a few old glass top ex triumphs on the bay   at least they will have the correct pressure but most glass tops were on the 6 cly  

and cant compare the fit ona 4 cyl 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-2000-Mk2-Fuel-Pump/224409300499?hash=item343fd62e13:g:VJwAAOSwjhtf~xxB

Float good? If they have a leak they fill with fuel up to the puncture so then can sit lower and operate the valve later. It would mean the running level in the chamber will be high and the fuel mixture too rich but maybe this has been compensated for... 

I did consider this... the float was tested and found good. There is definitely a possibility that the float sits slightly low if the modern fuel has a lower specific gravity than the old fuels... and I did find reference to this in an old solex manual which specified different weights of float for differing fuel qualities.  As previously stated I have experimented with lowering the valve with an additional washer but it made no improvement. I remain convinced that this is all down to the wrong fuel pump pressure, but do not yet have the means to correct it. 

Well its a bit drastic but as you have a spare spring is it worth progressively cutting coil off it to reduce the force it applies to the pump diaphragm? Obviously you cant make the spring too short as its got to always be compressed slightly. Alternatively it looks like the spring sits on two washers and possibly one can be removed to reduce the tension slightly...

It isn’t really two pumps causing the same... the new pump I installed was

observed to be outputting 4psi which was a vast improvement of the 9-10 from the original. The over flow problem was not entirely sorted but much improved. This fuel pump failed after just a few miles and upon inspection was always destined to do so... just not of a good enough quality. 

so I fitted the original ( still a replacement and not from the sixties)  back on for time being with the spring out of the new one. I haven’t measured the output pressure but it was back to its old trick.

I am hoping that if I can get a pump with 1. 5 psi output or there abouts  all will be well again. Just not sure how to source such a pump... but looks like Colin can help👍👍👍

42 minutes ago, Tipidave said:

It isn’t really two pumps causing the same... the new pump I installed was

observed to be outputting 4psi which was a vast improvement of the 9-10 from the original. The over flow problem was not entirely sorted but much improved. This fuel pump failed after just a few miles and upon inspection was always destined to do so... just not of a good enough quality. 

so I fitted the original ( still a replacement and not from the sixties)  back on for time being with the spring out of the new one. I haven’t measured the output pressure but it was back to its old trick.

I am hoping that if I can get a pump with 1. 5 psi output or there abouts  all will be well again. Just not sure how to source such a pump... but looks like Colin can help👍👍👍

I’ve fitted a Huco which is suction pump and fitted in the engine bay in my Vitesse The psi is 2.2 and serves 2 Strombergs . More details if you need them 

here’s the spec , ignore the price as they available cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-14-V-2-2-PSI-0-15-bar-Low-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-HUCO-133010-Kit-Car-/254645067130?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjwx6WDBhBQEiwA_dP8rYUdi9jvfIaLiYEixX3Vvd2GkC-mtN8p0ZPcg5D9U5gCLBqkg7nlIxoCjHkQAvD_BwE

Paul 

10 hours ago, Gully said:

Best price seems to be around £52.99 with free postage.

Gully

If the Huco trial failed to solve the carb issue there’s a strong second hand value which should realise £30 plus 

Paul

Just fitted an original old fuel pump that was kindly sent by a member for me to try. 

I was astonished to feel just how much lighter the spring Mechanism is on this original pump. I do not understand why it is seemingly impossible to buy a correctly rated replacement? 

haven’t been out for a test test run but so far looking good  and no whiff of petrol in the garage. 

thanks for all the help and advice👍👍

• Like 1