Triumph Herald Steering wheel nut & rear diff

Hi, 

I have found a Herald and hope to pick it up very soon, in the meantime I have been putting together a few spares etc.

I have managed to get hold of a spoked (banjo) steering wheel I am have refurbished and hope to fit. The horn push that came with it is the same, so another good spare there, however I need to know what size the nut is that holds the steering wheel in place (I prefer to use a socket rather than the old hammer and chisel method😄).

Also I have spotted a diff for a 1360 on eBay, for a good price, will this be an improvement on the standard 1200 diff (for motorway work / longer journeys) or isn't it worth the bother?

Thanks and best wishes,

Mike.

All Herald are specified as a 4.11:1 diff    so dont bother        if you want to improve cruising look for a spitfire 3.63:1 diff works well with  1200 

we have a local car with this and its a good call .

there can be two stg wheel nuts 15/16" and 1- 1/16 AF ( thats from memory)

PART NUMBER     https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-herald-1200&diagram=triumph-herald-1200-steering

its a good few years since i had my Vit6  so hope the memory is close    def never the hammer and punch

and the horn push 3 legged spider clip can be a faf ,

always fit the horn (pencil) with the brass brush to the column ring and the soldered end up to the button or it wears quick and flies apart 

there are two pencil lengths available   

Plus - if removing the steering wheel do NOT completely undo the nut; take it right to the end of the threads and then loosen the wheel on the splines. This way, if it requires force to move it, it won't fly off, especially if you're sitting in the driver's seat pulling it and get it right between the eyes when it flies off....

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

if you want to improve cruising look for a spitfire 3.63:1 diff works well with  1200 

There's a Spitfire mk4 3.89 diff being advertised? Or is this a step too far?

If so I'll keep looking for the one you suggested.

Best wishes,

Mike.

A 3.89 offers a ratio between the one fitted and the 3.63. I think that would be a good compromise as you dont want to lose too much acceleration do you? Also it would fit correctly as it has the 6 mounting holes for the spring rather than the 4 used on the other (although it might be possible to swop casings)...

With any diff the hard part is to get a good s/h (or even reconditioned!) one as the seals can leak and, worse, gears/bearings whine. The front seal is the most likely to be worn and fortunately the easiest to change but noise can be very difficult and expensive to cure. To try to buy a quiet diff without hearing it running all you can do is check it turns smoothly but with some resistance, has a small amount of backlash and inspect the internal gears. Some suppliers will offer to replace it if theres a problem but it could be a lot of hassle and I dont know how this guarantee works😳  

remember a spitfire diff may have only 4 stud  holes for the   6 spring studs  if its from a later spit with a swing spring box

but drill 8.3mm and tap 3/8unf is easy even with a battery drill   just use the top 6 hole plate as a jig 

and i would see how you get on and get to know the car more then decide if a major unit needs a change 

final drive ratios matter if you drive 2 up you can go higher than the 4.11   if you drive 4 up and a boot full of goodies  needs a carefull thought 

its the 1st gear hill start ability you have to consider more than motorway cruising 

the local 1200 with a 3.63 does about 1000 a month and mainly 2 up and shopping in the boot  its fine  and he lives on a hill 

so theres stud holes to consider  and you have 4.11   3,89  3,63  and 3,27  you will have to change the front coupling to match your propshaft

see some more clues  https://www.canleyclassics.com/?archive=different-differentials

Pete

there you go its a 4 hole diff so need two more stud holes adding or you swap cases and a coupling swap ( its is from a IV swing spring onwards )

it has a castle nut on the coupling so its not collapsible spacer'd preload  so its provenence is buyer beware it most unlikey to be 3.89 :1 or 3.63

all early and spitfire IV was 4.11:1  only the 1500 was 3.63:1  the only spit with a 3.89:1   (FH)was sold as 1500 in north america theres a lot of very mixed clues about     mkIV  ratios  some do list FH as 3.89  others 4.11  ( and you have to read in the US market spec)

leave you to pick the bones out of that the Triumph factory parts list for MK IV shows as 4.11:1  the std ratio for UK   

you need to drive what you have and why go out buying unkown parts on a whim there will be many other bits and bobs you will need first 

and a good understanding of the mix and wont match triumph parts bin 

Pete

mmmmm......

Given what you've said, the essance of which, if I understand correctly, is that I could very well end up with the same diff ratio that I already have, I think I will leave this one then and look for one that is known to come from a 1500.

I am in no hurry. 

Will there be trade / car boot stands at the combined Triumph / MG weekend later in the year?

I do like a good rummage....... 😄

Best wishes,

Mike.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there you go its a 4 hole diff so need two more stud holes adding or you swap cases and a coupling swap ( its is from a IV swing spring onwards )

it has a castle nut on the coupling so its not collapsible spacer'd preload  so its provenence is buyer beware it most unlikey to be 3.89 :1 or 3.63

all early and spitfire IV was 4.11:1  only the 1500 was 3.63:1  the only spit with a 3.89:1   (FH)was sold as 1500 in north america theres a lot of very mixed clues about     mkIV  ratios  some do list FH as 3.89  others 4.11  ( and you have to read in the US market spec)

leave you to pick the bones out of that the Triumph factory parts list for MK IV shows as 4.11:1  the std ratio for UK   

you need to drive what you have and why go out buying unkown parts on a whim there will be many other bits and bobs you will need first 

and a good understanding of the mix and wont match triumph parts bin 

Pete

Think youre a bit off there Pete as thatll be an FH and 3.89 as indicated by the seller who offers a lot of diffs for sale. However youre right about the coupling and the number of casing holes as 3.89 comes in 4 and 6 hole flavours.

This seller asks rather high prices for unreconditioned diffs so presumibly will give a refund on a noisy one (guess who pays the postage though?)....

If you do change the diff spit mk4 and 1500 had larger flanges on both the input and outputs, so you would need to change the front flange or rear prop flange. Plus the output shafts and I think the 1200 used small output shafts so wouldn't fit, which would mean changing the half shaft flanges to the larger later ones, not really a difficult job though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A thought has occurred to me that on Morris Minor diffs there are identifying numbers stamped into the casing, are there any on Triumph diffs?

If so, what is the identifying mark for a 3-63:1 diff?

Is there a list of identifying numbers for diffs on here?

Many thanks,

Mike.