Herald spare wheel cover

jagnut66

• 2 months later...

To update this, I managed to get hold of a spare wheel cover, the only one on eBay at the time. 

It was a bit warped, so I glued the smaller 'hand made' one, that had been made up by a previous owner, to the underside. I 'weighted' the whole thing down whilst the glue set, so it is now thicker, stronger and, most importantly, flat! 😃

I then redrilled the holes for the rubber 'feet'. I have cut the stems that feed through the holes, as they will now be too short and not feed through anymore, I intend to 'reconnect' the two halves with Tigerseal. I have also resprayed it with satin black from Halfords, so when done it will hopefully look fairly standard.

I am now looking for the spin on 'thingy' that holds the spare wheel in place.

The stud is still welded in place in the boot and the thread looks okay (I have tap & die sets if not) but there is no spinner.

Does anybody have a spare up for grabs? If someone sees one for sale please let me know. Cheers.

Best wishes,

Mike.

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

spin on thingy  is normally just a  std  wheel nut 

Pete

That's good to know, it's what I thought. A spare wheel nut is always useful just in case, now to put it on my shopping list.

26 minutes ago, Chris A said:

That's good to know, it's what I thought. A spare wheel nut is always useful just in case, now to put it on my shopping list.

How many do you want?. At the last count I had at least a dozen, not including the ones on the Herald, in various lenghts and even AF (spanner) sizes, all with the same Thread?. I.e Old Mini ones are the same thread, But the Nose angle is different. Some old Ford ones too?.

IF, I do go ultimately for a set of Minilites or similar. I will likely change the studs to Land Rover ones at the same time.

Pete

40 minutes ago, PeteH said:

How many do you want?. At the last count I had at least a dozen

If they're surplus to your needs and it's okay I'd have a set (4), as spares for the Herald, plus 1 for the spare, so 5 altogether. Obviously I'd cover postage.

How much would you want for them?

Best wishes,

Mike.

10 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

If they're surplus to your needs and it's okay I'd have a set (4), as spares for the Herald, plus 1 for the spare, so 5 altogether. Obviously I'd cover postage.

How much would you want for them?

Best wishes,

Mike.

Let me do a recount, They are in a Box with several (hundred?) other redundant nuts. IF I have enought (good ones) to let some go. They are FOC, postage might be a bit steep as they are quite heavy in comparison to size.

I would add, that if you have access to a Lathe, the nose of some may need recutting to suit the wheels. But let me check first.

BTW. If you fancy a ride out?. I May be at Bingham, (just off the A46) 9-13the Aug. If I can get a campsite pitch.? Around 20miles I would guess.?

Pete

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

BTW. If you fancy a ride out?. I May be at Bingham, (just off the A46) 9-13the Aug. If I can get a campsite pitch.? Around 20miles I would guess.?

Regarding the nuts, thanks, I thought when you said you had a dozen (12) you had already seaprated them out. However, even if you only have one spare (that I could use for the spare), this would still be great.

Do you mean the joint Triumph / MG weekend? I have booked a ticket for the Saturday. 

Oddly the club has sent me a confirmation note but no ticket as yet??............

Best wishes,

Mike.

16 hours ago, Chris A said:

"Seek and ye shall find"

After a night's thought (I'm a slow thinker) I wondered what my spare was held in place with and I had a vague memory of adding wheel nut to my 'potential' shopping list. Well, the wheel is held in by an ordinary(ish) nut and my list of spares had a wheel nut listed as being in my 'SOS kit'. Yes I do have one - it must have been included when I got the car, maybe holding the spare in place even.

18 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

Regarding the nuts, thanks, I thought when you said you had a dozen (12) you had already seaprated them out. However, even if you only have one spare (that I could use for the spare), this would still be great.

Do you mean the joint Triumph / MG weekend? I have booked a ticket for the Saturday. 

Oddly the club has sent me a confirmation note but no ticket as yet??............

Best wishes,

Mike.

Sadly no. I won`t be making the Triumph weekend. Her indoors and I are taking a few days out midweek on this quiet Pub site in Notts. Just off the A46. near Bingham. For complex reasons of a health nature we are still trying to keep a low profile, and this type of "break" in our Motorhome is a way to get some "escape" time. It is quiet during the week and the Pub does excellent food, Real ale, and the benefit of being able to take it back the the M-H on the site if the Inside is deemed too crowded.

Pete

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

Her indoors and I are taking a few days out midweek on this quiet Pub site in Notts. Just off the A46. near Bingham.

Okay. Bingham is not far at all, so if you can let me have a contact number I'll pop over on the Friday (morning or afternoon?) and I'll be able to call you when I'm getting close.

I've had both my shots (55 this year) in case you were wondering.

Best wishes,

Mike.

2 minutes ago, MK2 Ed said:

I've been assuming that the confirmation e-mail is all I'm going to get, has anyone had a ticket?

Might be worth raising this as a 'Topic' on here Ed.

I'm going to try to ring the club on Monday and find out what's happening.

Best wishes,

Mike.

On 01/08/2021 at 10:34, jagnut66 said:

Okay. Bingham is not far at all, so if you can let me have a contact number I'll pop over on the Friday (morning or afternoon?) and I'll be able to call you when I'm getting close.

I've had both my shots (55 this year) in case you were wondering.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hi. Right, the count did not go well. The vast majority are Mini Nuts. Same thread but nose is very different. However I have 5 you can have if you wish, I cleaned them up and ran a Tap through them. The mini ones I can cut new tapers on in the lathe if I have the need. But I have full set and spare. I suspect I will change them for L-R ones anyway IF I go for minnlites.

If you PM me, I will arrange to post them out. We are only at the Campsite from Sunday leave Thursday am early.

Pete

On 01/08/2021 at 10:31, MK2 Ed said:

I've been assuming that the confirmation e-mail is all I'm going to get, has anyone had a ticket?

I spoke to the club office this morning, the tickets will be going out in the post to people within the next few days.