Door plate screw

Chris A

Greetings to the wise ones. A humble follower seeks your help.

Many times in the past I have been accused of having a screw loose but in fact I am missing one. Well, the car is at least.

I haven't been able to find a reference for this screw I am sure that you will not only be able to give me a part number but, more usefully, the actual specification of it. No doubt an imperial size and with any luck my local John Deere tractor dealer will be able to sell me one.

Thanks allSAM_1740.thumb.JPG.ecffeb8120b926f10c8f58a6eed221f0.JPG

Modern equivalent: https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/b-post-striker-plate-securing-screw-3  it's also listed elsewhere as 1/4 x 1 1/4 UNF but see below:

Parts catalogue shows KX4707 which is listed as: 'cross recess flat countersunk 80 degree head 1/4 x 7/8 UNF.'

I think you've plenty of space in behind if it's slightly longer than original.

• Thanks 1

I will be needing these as I had to drill out some when tearing my Spitfire apart...

Asking for a friend: If by some strange chance the friend may had damaged the thread in the door of drilling these out on his Spitfire, would it be OK to use some sort of nut with a lock washer or nylon locking nut assuming at least one screw is held in "properly"?

5 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

Asking for a friend: If by some strange chance the friend may had damaged the thread in the door of drilling these out on his Spitfire, would it be OK to use some sort of nut with a lock washer or nylon locking nut assuming at least one screw is held in "properly"?

Pass on my sympathies to your 'friend' 😏

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

You can reassure your friend that if the rear of the panel can be accessed (it can in the Herald range) then a nut on the end of the bolt will do perfectly.

• Like 1

I've located some under the Paddocks part number, ZKC37, damned expensive compared to their price but postage makes a difference. I have a couple of other bits I want to order so the whole comes out ok.

Just checked Paddocks site to see their postage charge just for fun - Item is out of stock ! 😏

Edited by Chris A
more info available

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

most bolt suppliers should have them 

Pete

I'm sure they do in the land of imperial sizes, a little less so here in Metric Land 😁 Here they don't sell bolts just boulons . . .