1980 Spitfire revival

17 minutes ago, AlanT said:

Impact wrench bought. Brilliant! Four presses of the trigger and it’s off. Wish I’d bought one years ago. Would have saved all manner of bust tools, skinned knuckles! Car didn’t budge even an inch (but I had it well secured)

200ED228-F3EB-4AE8-8174-4FD9BE0DFD80.jpeg

E14CB94F-19CF-4341-9ECE-1656F033A815.jpeg

FCFA58A5-F974-4E29-85F3-7FA7DFA235F7.jpeg

Excellent news.

They are probably a better idea than battery ones for occasional use. Yes, being corded is a mild inconvenience, made up for with price and the fact there are no batteries to fail. 

Well done

• Thanks 1

Well it’s stripped down and I think the problem is actually of my own making! I stripped the bottom end of the engine whilst it was out to check the bearings and replace the shells. The leak appears to be from the front main bearing block that sits at the front of the sump. Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove this with the engine in situ? Looks like it may be possible. I really don’t want to take the engine out again! 
Appreciate advice. Thanks 

F2A4EF54-A0D2-4384-B669-897A0CBE2907.jpeg

Colin, you’re spot on. I’d reassembled without adding sealant! Teach me not to read the manual (aside from torque settings). The leak is more of a flow than drip when there’s no seal. 
All off but need to get new sump gasket. 
thanks 

Alan

F930BFC3-7E8D-49E3-8672-4ABF7DEE0C6E.jpeg

886E5A5B-E4B3-42FF-A96D-8013546F7D57.jpeg

Josef, you’re right. I’d assumed they are rubber. Thanks for the pointer. I’ll order new when I get the gasket. 
Happily I’ve already got the timing chains seal + gasket so the unexpected fix gives me chance to swap in new anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

and a warning there are a variety of setscrew lengths holding the sump  some a bit longer thann others

apart from overtightening and stripping the alloy block many fail due to fitting long bolts into the block these bottom out and gorilla tighening strips the block 

lesson do not mix and match what bolt goes where !!!!

Pete

I think - will check and confirm - that there are four long bolts at the rear of the block but all others are shorter / same length all the way round; I know that's the case with Heralds.

Edit: Canleys are showing 16 of 5/16 x 5/8 on both the 1300 and the 1500, all round, so seemingly all the same length.

I’ve decided to rebuild the carbs. They, plus the starter motor and diff, are the only remaining mechanical parts on the whole car since I started! 
I’d previously cleaned them out in the hope of putting off more work…but the bearings are seized and I don’t like the seeping from the old jets. 
New bearings, non waxstat jets, new needle valves, replace a float pot that has a sheared screw, fix a choke control lever that detaches itself, more cleaning, new gaskets.

Aside from the heat shield, should 1500 Spits have rubber carb spacers? None on mine.

Onwards! 

D697BC99-6473-48DF-99CE-60570011AE73.jpeg

D61B04C7-8543-4F8E-AAAE-99210C538F33.jpeg

F79249A0-444D-4EF9-9362-4E7114AF01C6.jpeg

87AD094B-449C-4890-A0A0-3A59082CED19.jpeg

20 minutes ago, AlanT said:

should 1500 Spits have rubber carb spacers?

No, I don't think so. I've not seen them on any 1500, whether Spitfire or Dolomite. The rubber spacers were fitted on 1850, TR7 and Sprint, the asbestos ones on Stromberg-equipped 2L engines. No spacers on 1500 AFAIK.

Whilst I wait for seat covers to arrive I’m sorting snagging (like the tired carbs).

The starter gets stuck/is slow. A tap fixes it. Is it easy to change the brushes? Has anyone experience of trying this? 
Thanks

Alan