Triumph Herald interior rear view mirror

jagnut66

Hi, 

The mirror glass of my rear view mirror is getting decidedly 'crusty' around the edges, does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable replacement / wider upgrade?

The Herald itself has excellent all round vision but a rear view mirror that is a bit on the small side IMO.

So, as the mirror itself is startingto pickle, I thought I'd see what others on here suggest.

Best wishes,

Mike. 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the OE is available new but https://www.thehertfordshiregardencentre.com/tearoom

£61 is a tad steep 

Hi Pete, 

Your link is to a garden centre tea room??

There is also this one but it's not much cheaper:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjCgpDg-vbwAhWCstUKHfUYCOUYABAGGgJ3cw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2KvIxNBWvQjTbDqAnF9-P2EqbV94rC1vBNfZGpJm50EEh0-tFu4V4eaVAPlAwUwqDf9BzPljSjHKB0XEhZEV5&sig=AOD64_0WMWvEDYuDbcpAoW8d7ge89kRbzg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjY44fg-vbwAhXrDWMBHciABtwQ9aACegQIARBf&adurl=

These are quite good; they stay on by way of two elastic straps so will clip to almost any existing mirror.

I have seen them Colin but I can't decide about them.....

Best wishes,

Mike.

I think I've described this before, I have fitted the later saloon, Spit, Dolly Dipping Rear View Mirror to my Mk2 Vitesse and daughters Mk2 Spitfire,

It required a little work as you cannot get the ball out of the later dipping mirror without destroying that mirrors body & the Vitesse mirror ball is slightly smaller than the later dipping mirror's ball.

I cut the taper off the later dipping mirror (pic1) leaving the ball insitu using a Dremmel cutting disc, then tapped the insitu steel ball in that mirror (pic4, it doesn't rotate easily very tightly held in the dipping mirror plastic body, next I cut the ball body with clip out of the old Vitesse mirror (pic3) and screwed that fitting onto the dipping mirror via the tapped hole in fixed ball of the dipping ball (pic2), then I simply reassembled the Vitesse ball clip to its repositioned body on the dipping mirror.

I've done it 4 times now on our 2 cars, a friends Vitesse and another club members Mk 3 Spit, in all cases the original cars mirror stem was retained.

End result a substantially larger and more attractive mirror, which is dippable too!

Later Style Tapered Lock & Ball Joint.JPG

Modified Later Style dipping mirror with earlier Vitesse style ball joint screwed to mirror ball.JPG

Original Vitesse stalk with standard style ball joint.JPG

Dipping Mirrorshowing Taper cut off & insitu ball tapped.JPG

• Like 1

Hi, 

Having thought about all that has been said above, I then remembered / considered a solution which I had already used in a 1963 two door Morris Minor I once owned. 

In that I replaced the foxed original mirror with a better one, sourced on eBay, originally fitted to an MGB.

I got the idea when replacing a rear view mirror in an MG BGT that I owned at the same time.

What I realised with the Minor was that the ball size of the MGB and the Minor were the same. 

So having purchased one and prised out the MGB stem with ball still attached, I pressed it onto the MInor stem (still in place with old mirror removed). 

You need to properly and firmly support and cushion the mirror during both removal of the old stem and fitment onto the Morris one.

So I have acquired an MG Midget rear view mirror with a really good mirror glass in it (again off eBay) and popped out the Midget stem and ball (done with them still screwed together, to provide leveredge on the ball in the mirrors socket).

I then found a good period looking grey (Ford Polar Grey) to go with my original grey Triumph stem, that was not too dissimilar in shade to the original Triumph mirror I was replacing. Plus some 'plastic primer' (both readily available from Halfords). I then masked off the mirror and resprayed its black plastic body grey.

Once cured I fitted it onto the Triumphs stem.

To find that the Triumph ball is smaller than the Midget socket....... 🙄

Solution, one small rubber grommet, pressed into the replacement mirrors socket.

Once (now firmly) pressed back onto the Triumph stems ball I have an adjustable mirror, that stays where it's adjusted to..... 😄

And a much greater (and unfoxed) field of rearward vision.

Result! 😁

Best wishes,

Mike.

Replacing Hetty's rear view mirror - old mirror back.JPG

Replacing Hetty's rear view mirror - old foxed mirror.JPG

Replacing Hetty's rear view mirror - new mirror installed.JPG

Replacing Hetty's rear view mirror - new mirror better viewing.JPG

Replacing Hetty's rear view mirror - new mirror small grommet installed to hold adjustments.JPG

• Like 2

Excellent solution from Mike, and so easy. The mirror and stem in our 13/60 convertible is black, so a spare Dolomite Sprint one I had, which is the same as the mirror part from the Midget, was perfect. I didn't have a grommet quite the right size in the box o' bits. So I found a slightly too big blanking plug, cut it in half, and used the bit with the hole in it. Perfect!

509455896_DSCF54351.thumb.JPG.e18141fa1b23d3778080ffc2b88f0d6b.JPG1539629149_DSCF54361.thumb.JPG.90e3a625d0e7bb6c40cde82ab59d575c.JPG