Vitesse block leaking

Joel

I used steel seal on a tiny leak in the bottom of my radiator where it just touched the head of a bolt and had a tiny weep, that was about 10 years, a replacement engine and numerous flushes ago, still not leaking. I was dubious at the time and only left it in for a short time before flushing. I guess it will leak now the next time I start it

we added a Barrs leak pellet to very truck we built to solve new hose coolant seapages   they worked then (pre 93)

and I believe that up at least a few years ago all F1 teams treated all new radiators when they arrived.

Just seeing/hearing the term "rad seal" brings me out in a cold sweat. I know people use it but for me it really would be the final option or out and out emergency.

Each to their own,  I used to have a tube of Barrs in the car all the time (in the emergemcy kit).  Don't now - probably should get some more

C,

Indeed, I bough a "card" of Celit stuff probably 20 years ago. Good stuff, and I carry a couple of sachets with me. And some araldite. My old herld estate developed a weep from a cooling tube. The rad was OK apart from that. So drained, a squirt of cleaner, a 2p coin and a blob of araldite. Still OK when sold about 5 years later. 

As an emergency get-you-home ( especially in the depths of Europe) fixes do not need to be elegant, they just need to work! I have seen too many people call breakdown and put in hire cars for something that could be bodged together. 

• Like 1