Two Dynamo questions

Andrew

Hi do all Dynamos on a Herald 13/60 have a cooling fan on as I have just noticed mine does not have one at all.  Second question how do I check my brushes in my Dynamo need changing. Just been for a drive and my red light is on where do I start to look for charging issues.

thank you in advance 

Andrew

certainly should have the fan behind the pulley 

start with makes sure all connections are clean , never/ do not mess with the control box

brushes are sprung and retained in a carrier , if you lift the spring up and set its end to one side the brush with its wire can be removed 

if the brush has worn so much that the spring has no effort its worn out 

most manuals give the how to even have a look on you tube for clues 

Pete

Hi

Check the fan belt is on and not slipping, It should drive on the Vee sides NOT the bottom of the groove. Check all the Terminal connections and the control box terminations too.

If you have access to a W-S manual there should be a check test list?.

Haynes, Shows:- Dynamo.thumb.jpg.88795bdc3c05d2ac42665f758886d314.jpg

Pete.

It really comes down to the inspection when apart: if you find the bearings worn, winding damaged, corrosion etc then maybe a new dynamo is a good idea although most things can be repaired if required. Also if replacing then perhaps a alternator conversion should be considered...

first check if it is working as any problem could also be the control box. Put a voltmeter across the battery with the small wire on the dynamo disconnected, when running it should read about 12v now put a wire from +ve of battery to the small terminal, the voltage should jump to 14v or over. If it does the dynamo is working and the problem is the  control box if it doesn't it's the dynamo. In my experience the problem has been the control box but that may be just me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

Thanks guys will take it apart this weekend. Is it worth buying a new Dynamo or just clean up and replace the bushes if required 

If everything else is ok just give it a clean up and replace the bushes.

When I did mine I noticed the manufacturing date was a couple of months earlier than that of the car so I reckon it is the original one. It may have had several sets of brushes, bearings etc I've no idea.

HI

One think not to forget, If you clean up the commutator, you should gently undercut between the segments. This reduces "sparking" and interferance with radio devices. (Especially on "Short Wave"). Does anyone still use supressors?.

Pete

Hello all. Just wanted to report back regarding my Dynamo.  First off all bought a pulley fan from chic dog very helpful people. Second took off the dynamo cleaned out years of dust with brake cleaner. Replaced the brushes and all running well. Thank you all for your advice

Andrew

• Like 1