Clutch parts for fitting a Triumph Overdrive gearbox onto a 1970 Triumph Herald 1200

jagnut66

Okay, as soon as my friend has time to pop over I'll give it another go. 

10 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

firstly the bleed nipple must be on the top of the feed pipe

I take it you mean the bleed nipple on the slave, which is in the top position.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

I have gears!! 😃

However, they come courtesy of my original four speed box. 

We tried with the overdrive unit to no avail. Then Dave had a 'lightbulb' moment and remembered years ago working on another Triumph with a similar problem, the cause of which was the O/D unit itself. Namely that the pads(?) inside had broken up and were causing it to jam up (? - his description), so although you could select gears with the engine off (like mine) once it was turned on it appeared that the clutch was failing to engage (like mine).......

So I spent today reinstalling the 4 speed box, with the battery on charge.

Once done and with fresh oil in the box, I started the Herald, let her warm up then tried the gears......

Success! The clutch is slightly 'growly' when depressed but this goes away when it's released again. All four gears and reverse select. 

I think changing the thrust bearings has helped though, that was a good call.

Unfortunately it did highlight that the big ends and mains are worn (going by the one I removed to change the thrust washers), so at some point I shall need to change these.....

To be fair I just want to be able to drive it again, though I shall have to be more careful about sticking to 70 max, going over that is what I think tipped the balance and started me off down this road. I guess this is the inherent weakness of the 1200 engine.

Hopefully, once the O/D box is rebuilt, the engine will have a bit more flexibility.

For now it will be nice to get her off the axel stands and out of the garage!......😃

Does anyone know a good place to get the O/D box rebuilt?

Also any idea how much this will cost?

Best wishes,

Mike.

Mike.

2 minutes ago, johny said:

What did the crank bearings look like? If copper is showing through anywhere you need to replace asap or itll be a regrind as well☹️

Yes, some copper was showing on the one I looked at, so I know it's going to need doing.......

Best wishes,

Mike.

• Like 1