Clutch parts for fitting a Triumph Overdrive gearbox onto a 1970 Triumph Herald 1200

jagnut66

10 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

I have GRB 207, supplied by Rimmers. This has a flat face to it, as opposed to the original SKF 415441 which seems hard to find these days.

The flat bearing is for the coil clutch, which had a circular plate against which the bearing pushes so a flat face was fine.

The curved bearing is necessary for the fingers of the diaphragm clutch; there are still good versions out there.

9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The flat bearing is for the coil clutch, which had a circular plate against which the bearing pushes so a flat face was fine.

The curved bearing is necessary for the fingers of the diaphragm clutch; there are still good versions out there.

Colin the issue is the suppliers are not supplying the original grb207, they are supplying a similar bearing that is thinner and flatter but will fit the carrier, RTB has ordered the correct bearing

27 minutes ago, DanMi said:

Colin the issue is the suppliers are not supplying the original grb207, they are supplying a similar bearing that is thinner and flatter but will fit the carrier, RTB has ordered the correct bearing

That's always a help, if the correct part is fitted - it rules out one potential problem and means that any issue then arising is caused by something else. I'm a great believer in OE bits as then I can blame myself, not the part.

I have just sourced a second NOS (CCT70) release bearing, from the States this time. It has cost me £31 including postage but since they are like Hens teeth I reckon it was worth it. One will be fitted along with my NOS pressure plate (cover) when it arrives. Hopefully (between the two of them) they'll last me for years.

I may have found the reason why the correct type of replacement is hard to find (though correct me if I'm wrong), from what I have read on the net it appears that SKF (SKF 415441) are a French company, so this may be why there seems to be a lack of the correct bearings at present. I did a search with the other code, CCT70, this brought up several potential UK based suppliers, all showing the part as 'out of stock'.

Best wishes,

Mike.

They will have used various manufacturers in the day, SKF was just the one I have in a Borg and Beck box. The one I linked to earlier is still there at Spitbitz near wokingham for 8.99 + p&p (ebay).  Plus if you look you can see cct70 covered up

10 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

I have just sourced a second NOS (CCT70) release bearing, from the States this time. It has cost me £31 including postage but since they are like Hens teeth I reckon it was worth it. One will be fitted along with my NOS pressure plate (cover) when it arrives. Hopefully (between the two of them) they'll last me for years.

I just hope that after all this your clutch works😲 

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

They will have used various manufacturers in the day, SKF was just the one I have in a Borg and Beck box. The one I linked to earlier is still there at Spitbitz near wokingham for 8.99 + p&p (ebay).  

That one is used; saw it earlier. (although put back into the box)

If you want to try S/H versions I have plenty, usually changed whether they needed it or not.

Hi, 

I have just fitted my replacement NOS pressure (cover) plate, which was advertised as being for a Herald, to find the forks sit on the centre of the driven plate, rather than allowing this to pass through the centre, as with the original pressure (cover) plate.

Before I try and get another one off Rimmers or the like, I just wanted to confirm that I'm correct in that the centre of the driven plate should pass through the centre of the pressure plate.

It is all bolted up in place and the bolts are fully home.

Pictures below, showing the NOS one fitted (for now).....

Many thanks,

Mike.

Replacement NOS Herald pressure (cover) plate.JPG

Original Herald pressure (cover) plate.JPG

Yes unfortunately that B&B part number looks like its for a Triumph 1300 FWD which although fitted with the same Herald engine obviously the gearbox is different along with the clutch...

I do think youre right to want to replace the pressure plate👍

Thanks, yes, I thought it should pass through (as with the Morris).

I also thought the original pressure plate would go again but looking at it now I think not. Bin job.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered one from Rimmers for speed of delivery, it will be with me Saturday.

The (domed) NOS release bearing has arrived, it was almost a shame to take it out of the original box and wrapper but it now sits where it should. So that's one good thing.

I placed the new style flat one next to my old original and you can clearly see the difference in depth, I'm surprised more people aren't experiencing issues with the flat ones.

I also have a new replacement master cylinder, should I need to replace the (new) one on the car (again).

So hopefully this will be all bases covered. Fingers crossed...............

If someone else can 'second' your identification of the incorrect NOS pressure plate, as being for a 1300, then I will advertise it as such, free to whoever needs one for just the cost of posting it. 

It comes with its original box and brown wax paper, in case some wants to start a museum 😉..........

Best wishes,

Mike.

On 07/08/2022 at 17:36, Colin Lindsay said:

The only other thing I can think of is whether the slave cylinder is correct

Sorry Colin, I meant to reply to this point earlier, yes, I have the correct slave for a diaphragm clutch.

Best wishes,

Mike.

18 hours ago, DanMi said:

Do send the bearing back for refund as it is not as described. If we don't we will keep being sold shoddy parts

Unfortunately I suspect they will state that as the part numbers are different, original SKF 415441 / CCT70 / GBR209 vs new GBR207, that it is as described.

Before they tell me that, as it has been fitted (for me to find all this out), it is now secondhand, so I can forget about a refund (polite version).

To be fair, I would likely get this response from most places these days.

I can however email or message them with a complaint and the comparison pictures that I have taken (below), which clearly show the difference in width.

If more people complain about parts that don't compare with the original specs, then we might, eventually, get somewhere......

Best wishes,

Mike.

Comparison --Domed GBR209 on left -- Flat GBR207 on right 1.jpg

Comparison --Domed GBR209 on left -- Flat GBR207 on right 2.jpg

Comparison --Domed GBR209 on left -- Flat GBR207 on right 3.JPG

6 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Unfortunately I suspect they will state that as the part numbers are different, original SKF 415441 / CCT70 / GBR209 vs new GBR207, that it is as described.

Before they tell me that, as it has been fitted (for me to find all this out), it is now secondhand, so I can forget about a refund (polite version).

To be fair, I would likely get this response from most places these days.

I can however email or message them with a complaint and the comparison pictures that I have taken (below), which clearly show the difference in width.

If more people complain about parts that don't compare with the original specs, then we might, eventually, get somewhere......

Best wishes,

Mike.

Comparison --Domed GBR209 on left -- Flat GBR207 on right 1.jpg

Comparison --Domed GBR209 on left -- Flat GBR207 on right 2.jpg

Comparison --Domed GBR209 on left -- Flat GBR207 on right 3.JPG

No they are selling it as a release bearing for a spitfire with diaphragm clutch which it is clearly not so it is not fit for purpose. If we simply say oh well, this is the service level that we will get.

The thing is it will probably work, although possibly with a different feel in operation, and anyway where are the original specification details for the thrust bearing? Perhaps different manufacturers have always produced different sizes or maybe, as with other components, thats all thats available now....

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Nobody wants to make imperial stuff now so we have to accept what the Koreans/Indians/Chinese will make☹️

The correct bearing is being made as it is in the 3 part kits,or at least it was last time that I purchased 1. 

14 minutes ago, johny said:

The thing is it will probably work, although possibly with a different feel in operation, and anyway where are the original specification details for the thrust bearing? Perhaps different manufacturers have always produced different sizes or maybe, as with other components, thats all thats available now....

If it is not correct then that should be detailed at the point of sale, if not then it is not fit for purpose. If we are told it is different but may work, then ok but this is sold as the correct part which it is not and if we just shrug our shoulders and accept it they will continue to take our money for sub standard parts. It is up to us to complain with threat of small claims if needed.