Mk3 Spitfire Seat Width

Rockape

So - having perused the forums it seems I have unwittingly joined the fraternity of Spitfire owners with challenging seats…in the car that is….

My ‘68 Mk3 is in great condition following its complete rebuild. However, I am told the seats are off a Mk4. 

they were very hard to slide when the carpets were in, and now I know why. They are too wide by quite a margin. 

( I am fitting new carpets and sound deadening )

Given that Mk3 seats appear to be as rare as the proverbial, what are my options?

Fit MX5 seats  and remove some seat foam (which year MX5 though?)

Would it be possible to strip down the existing seats, modify and re-foam/cover? (They need new foam anyway)

any ideas greatfully accepted….

7B665558-871F-479B-B034-DF98978F46F4.jpeg

4267FB3E-A32E-4307-9140-E2D0F03E2787.jpeg

AEEC9DC3-C76D-4466-A965-6ADCFB2FC9E1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

However, I am told the seats are off a Mk4. 

they were very hard to slide when the carpets were in, and now I know why. They are too wide by quite a margin. 

No, Mk4 seats fit a Mk3 perfectly well and slide nicely, as long as you use the Mk4 runners and drill the extra holes for the fittings (as the runners are more widely spaced than the Mk3 ones). If they don't slide it's almost certainly down to one of two things:

- the runners are rusty (extremely common!)

- They've been fitted on top of thick carpets without the necessary spacers, and the runners are thus bent (even more common!)

• Thanks 1

The floorpans are the same on mk3 and later. In fact pretty much the whole of the interior structure is the same, so the mk4 seats should fit without issue. Of course if new pans have been fitted the holes may have been misplaced. Seats being hard to slide is normall carpet issues. There should be thick washers under the seat slide bases to lift it from the floor a bit.

• Thanks 1

Well - that’s what one would think. However the facts are these seats are two wide …..so 

perhaps they are not Mk4 seat at all? Potentially I guess the floor pan is different -  but nothing else is out so am pretty sure that’s not the case….would need to find some dimensions of the original pan to check I guess - the key one being width between transmission tunnel and inner door sill.

it’s annoying ….. 

3 minutes ago, Rockape said:

Well - that’s what one would think. However the facts are these seats are two wide …..so 

perhaps they are not Mk4 seat at all? Potentially I guess the floor pan is different -  but nothing else is out so am pretty sure that’s not the case….would need to find some dimensions of the original pan to check I guess - the key one being width between transmission tunnel and inner door sill.

it’s annoying ….. 

When I replaced the floors in my Mk1 GT6 the seat mounting holes were in totally different places; the earlier ones were closer together so I had to position the seats on the new floors and drill accordingly. Even if you've had the floorpans replaced they still fit into the same space in the original car, so will be no narrower / wider between the sills and tunnel. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No, Mk4 seats fit a Mk3 perfectly well and slide nicely, as long as you use the Mk4 runners and drill the extra holes for the fittings (as the runners are more widely spaced than the Mk3 ones). If they don't slide it's almost certainly down to one of two things:

- the runners are rusty (extremely common!)

- They've been fitted on top of thick carpets without the necessary spacers, and the runners are thus bent (even more common!)

Lack of spacers could be the issue - any suggestions what dimension they would be?

On both the Vitesse and Dolly Sprint the slide issues was down to the guides being bowed over time, straightened and they are great now, daughters Mk2 Spit slide great, but I did strip a anchor nut thread with it getting carpet bound, so I burnt the loose carpet with a bit of old gal pipe around the mounting holes to ensure no repeat & heli-coiled the damaged nut!

49 minutes ago, DanMi said:

The floorpans are the same on mk3 and later. In fact pretty much the whole of the interior structure is the same, so the mk4 seats should fit without issue

9 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

On both the Vitesse and Dolly Sprint the slide issues was down to the guides being bowed over time, straightened and they are great now, daughters Mk2 Spit slide great, but I did strip a anchor nut thread with it getting carpet bound, so I burnt the loose carpet with a bit of old gal pipe around the mounting holes to ensure no repeat & heli-coiled the damaged nut!

I do need to watch for that when I install the new carpets ….

Here are a couple of photos that may shed some light. 

on the floor pan, the four holes in Green are I believe the original holes . The red ones are the ones in use on the left hand side rail(this is the passenger seat)

does this look like the original penetrations . It’s a little odd as the one bottom right is a clearance hole and requires a washer and nut. The others have captive nuts or are threaded.

also shown is a photo of the seat

34203A14-2ACC-4C82-9172-D4CD4FFE4FD9.jpeg

6274A226-3E59-4BA4-BA0E-2E01A9BB18DA.jpeg

BBA2F21E-6D20-4D7E-828A-F8E88E27AFCD.jpeg

Thanks - should have been more clear - the seat I know is the drivers side - it’s just the mounting holes are more clear on the passenger side as I have the silent coat installed on the drivers side …

although looking at this drivers side photo the mounting bolts are pretty obvious! Which makes me wonder why there are new/additional holes on the passenger side…

grrrrr

A6A64F63-0FD1-4BD8-8755-1171074082D8.jpeg

I am going to check the dimensions of the rails - there are only 4 bolts so not sure now which of the six holes on the passenger side are being used.

the drivers side “looks” right - with the four bolt locations being on the raised section of the floor pan (meaning they are at the same height, and match the four green circles on the passenger side. The extraneous red circled holes may be for some long forgotten project !

anyway - I think I have the main answers - they are Mk4 seats, and the rails need to be mounted on some spacers ….