Door, hard to open and close, Vitesse 6

Flemming Jensen

Hello

Over night the off side door was hard to open and close. Before that I noticed that the striker on the door frame was weared, meaning that the door has started to sag, starting last year.

Over winter the car has been on jack stands.

I suspect the chassis off side front outrigger to have been bended upwards.

Any comments nost wellcome. Thanks.

regards, Flemming

My Spitfire had the same problem back in the day and it was the the outrigger under the floor and the frame itself. The car sagged and pinched the door making it hard to open.

It took me a long time to figure it out because it opened fine from outside the car but if you sat in it it was hard...

Hard to Open and close doors seems quite a common problem with the Herald/Vitesse range

I've attached the Standard Triumph notes for Body Adjustments which may help

It may be worth checking you've not snapped a door hinge pin (Can you move the door up and down when open?)

Also check the condition of the Chassis and the body mounting points on the front bulkhead, these can both corrode and the mountings can collapse!

I spent an age trying to get the doors to align and shut smoothly when rebuilding my Vitesse, I fitted new Door Hinges, used good condition (Unworn) door strikers and Latches and also made sure the Anti-burst Catches (Convertible only) were well lubricated and unseized.

The front Bulkhead can be tilted by placing suitable spacer washers under the rear Front Bulkhead mounting to give more clearance and adjustment, but you may also need to adjust the Quarter lights and Door glasses too  

However if you any serious corrosion to the Front, middle or side Outriggers or the Bulkhead Mounting points this will need rectifying first    

Gary 

Herald, Vitesse Body - Svc Trg Notes.pdf

• Like 1

Could you put a jack under the suspected area and jack up; if the doors become easier to open and close then that's the problem area.

3 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

It took me a long time to figure it out because it opened fine from outside the car but if you sat in it it was hard...

In my current Estate there's no roof fitted and if I stand in the tub to work on the interior you can see the seat belt points move up and down against the centre tunnel area. Once the roof is fitted I hope the extra rigidity will hold things in place.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all. I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly. The door fits the doorway allright.

It is the hinges that either binds or the two are misaligned. I find the latter hard to believe given the distance between them.

i suspect the hinges themselves. I do have a spare set.

is it possible to fit them one by one supporting the door properly, do you think.

Without the door getting misaligned.

regards, Flemming

no reason why you cant change one hinge at a time  in fact thats pretty normal

if unsure about adjustments  draw around the outline to set the replacement in the same place 

use the screw to hold and allows some movement before you tighten the bolts

do not gorilla the fixings  its  easy to strip the cage plates

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2022 at 18:03, daverclasper said:

Would that include front/rear crossmembers as ok?, if jacking centrally.

Front crossmember is fine yes, the rear crossmember is also plenty strong enough. just need to careful as is angled at the bottom so not ideal for a stand from a safety point of view imho.

JJ