Painting under the car's floors ..without lifting the body completely off its chassis ?

Bfg

My car's recently had its chassis swapped and I didn't think to instruct the body shop to clean off and give the underside of the body shell a protective coat of paint while access was easy. 

P1390645s.JPG.04086234c2b20356d285b1e889edde80.JPG

^ although not in a terrible state yet, areas of that underside body shell have black paint which is flaking off or has been scratched, light surface rust in places, and otherwise what appears to be wax-oil over it.   As a car intended to be driven i all weathers and mostly parked outside in the wet, I need to deal with this before I'm faced with having to deal with holes !   

I accept that the body will have to be lifted again, but I'm hoping to get away with just jacking it up three or four inches ..to be able to get in above the chassis rails with an electric wire brush.  My question then is how you might recommend cleaning it up ? and then what best to paint it over with to seal it, bearing in mind that it'll be nigh on impossible to clean off all the engine / gearbox oil, grease and wax-oil ?

Thanks. Pete

• Bfg changed the title to Painting under the car's floors ..without lifting the body completely off its chassis ?

In view of the extreme difficulties of getting through the wax products etc to paint properly, I would be tempted to wire brush what you can and treat with dinitrol underbody wax. Hopefully that will blend with the residual wax and protect. I suspect that paint won't adhere well to what you have without serious stripping, cleaning etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Me too, brush what you can and spray with underbody wax.

Save the effort for the next full rebuild, which will probably never come.

See You tomorrow night to discuss further!

Makes sense.   I just hate crawling under a sticky car and I know that will come ..time and again !

Yes to tomorrow evening at the Sorrel Horse, as Mathew says we're meeting at 7 for a meal beforehand. Andrew also.  See you there. 

Pete.

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Something to consider?. Locally we have a company who Steam Clean underneath and then do a full "wax" system, AND give a guarantee?.

Pete

Yes I was considering steam cleaning first.  We have a company just five miles or so from here that years ago did my Scimitar.  Lots of foam and steam to get that wax oil and any old under-seal / loose paint off.    Having a sticky (car) bottom is where I'm hung up though. 

54 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Yes I was considering steam cleaning first.  We have a company just five miles or so from here that years ago did my Scimitar.  Lots of foam and steam to get that wax oil and any old under-seal / loose paint off.    Having a sticky (car) bottom is where I'm hung up though. 

Hi Pete , could you advise details of the steam cleaning company ?

Paul