Ode's to Triumphs.

Wagger

There are many in the bible, previously posted, but my wife (Trained Singer) used to perform this Henry Purcell composition.

'Hark the Echoing air a Triumph sings.'

Every time the word Triumph is sung, is is elongated and ornamented.

Obviously, Purcell had forsight.

Purcell did, so did Handel:

See, the conqu'ring hero comes!
Sound the trumpets! Beat the drums!
Sports prepare! The laurel bring!
Songs of Triumph to him sing!

(Judas Maccabeus)

While some feel that hip-hop is the future of music and that the Wu Tang Clan will one day rival Handel and Purcell, you may not like their opus "Triumph"

17 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I did, I was, never again. As for the Boulevard Peripherique, more like the Nurburgring on acid. 💥

My thoughts exactly when I first moved here, but after several 'attempts' I have it figured out :

Arc de Triomphe: foot down and go for it. Ignore anything behind you, anything at your side or coming in from the side is their problem. If there is daylight ahead aim at it. My wife just looks at her feet for some reason. I even managed to intimidate a Paris bus last time!

Périphérique: Nearside lane only for those turning off at the next exit. If there is a gap between you and the car in front someone will fill it. Speed limits are only guidelines unless there are cameras. Remember that a car entering the perif is just as likely to cut through all the lanes to get to the outside one as it is to stay in the nearside lane. Use of indicators doesn't mean 'I would like to . .' they mean 'I'm going . .'

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

'We have' ? No you don't ! It is still here and makes a great roundabout if you aren't easily scared. 😱

Yes we do, it's kept in trust for Triumph Owners everywhere. Some typical Triumph owner back in the day probably asked Napoleon: "Will you store this for us? We'll be back for it in six months or so"... :)

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Purcell did, so did Handel:

See, the conqu'ring hero comes!
Sound the trumpets! Beat the drums!
Sports prepare! The laurel bring!
Songs of Triumph to him sing!

(Judas Maccabeus)

While some feel that hip-hop is the future of music and that the Wu Tang Clan will one day rival Handel and Purcell, you may not like their opus "Triumph"

Also in Samson there us 'So mean a Triumph I disdain'. In ' Honour and Arms scorn such a foe'.

What a diverse band we are. Wife and me sing Opera, Oratorio, Folk and Jazz. No boundaries except 'Hip -hop.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes we do, it's kept in trust for Triumph Owners everywhere. Some typical Triumph owner back in the day probably asked Napoleon: "Will you store this for us? We'll be back for it in six months or so"... :)

A sort of left luggage thing then? In that case the overdue fees will be massive. 😠

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

Périphérique: Nearside lane only for those turning off at the next exit. If there is a gap between you and the car in front someone will fill it. Speed limits are only guidelines unless there are cameras. Remember that a car entering the perif is just as likely to cut through all the lanes to get to the outside one as it is to stay in the nearside lane. Use of indicators doesn't mean 'I would like to . .' they mean 'I'm going . .'

The Peripherique?  Pah!  I blow my nose at you!    Wait till you've tried an Italian motorway.     We were trying to get off but the traffic was queued back onto the inside lane, then they were queuing on the second lane, then the guy next to us tried to cut in in front of us, while a gap appeared in front of him and the guy behind him PUSHED HIM FROM BEHIND.   No, not by getting out and helping, he drove into the guy in front untIL thEIr bumpers clashed and PUSHED!!!

Pfui!