New engine

ahebron

That's raised an interesting point: electric motorcycles seem to be very much pie in the sky too. I've heard nothing on the ban of new motorcycles from 2030. This being the case then petrol may be available just a little longer ... any motorcyclists know the current situation with the two-wheeled fraternity?

Sniff! Been done before!

345265988_S-batBrands-afterburneron!jpg.jpg.84d2a743235a5f481ee205d13068aa85.jpg

But the wheels are optional:  

There's a young man who terrorises my town on an electrobike.  Well, he terrorises me as I dutifully ride my bike about.      All in black, black balaclava, black bike.     It's more like a moped in size, but can do in excess of 40mph as he buzzes you on the cycle path - or not buzzes as the bike is totally silent.  Scarey.

John

Hi,

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I will be looking for an engine for my Herald project in the near future.

I started a thread about fitting an Electric motor instead which did not attract many positive, posts.

Is this a way forward?

My reasoning is this, I  would go to someone like Chic Doig for a 1500 engine with an overdrive gearbox

I am estimating that this would be in the region of 1500 pounds plus delivery costs of possibly 200 pounds.

In the next few years as the amount of electric cars increase there will be a corresponding amount of electric cars written of due to accidental damage therefore the amount of parts available should increase.

The battery would be of value to the breakers so that might not be that cheap. 

I did a Google search and an American site suggested buying a Toyota (sorry I can't remember the model of the top oh my head) as a doner car for 3000 dollars, again during the search there was an article about an electric Herald.

So will this be feasible in the future, probably not for me due to age but the date for the end of petrol/diesel production is not that far away 2030.

Steve 

13 minutes ago, Pdv said:

Hi,

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I will be looking for an engine for my Herald project in the near future.

I started a thread about fitting an Electric motor instead which did not attract many positive, posts.

Is this a way forward?

It's a way forward, like any option. It's not THE way forward, if you know what I mean, but don't let my old-fashioned view put you off. I've absolutely no objection to anyone doing it, it's a great project and if you can overcome the pitfalls and problems it's probably very worthwhile, but I like the full package, oil, petrol, smell, leaks, the lot. It's like an electric steam engine - looks the same, but...

It has already been done, I know I have photos somewhere. Found them, Stafford 2102.

DSCF5405.thumb.JPG.ee019369a3f18900d293087b77f3b200.JPG

DSCF5406.thumb.JPG.013993e38f80996694f787ed901ee3dd.JPG

DSCF5380.thumb.JPG.5c5971a0fc39d71f5aeac8308da8e78a.JPG

DSCF5378.thumb.JPG.13bcf713304483a7a526f45343ba8a57.JPG

16 minutes ago, Pdv said:

Hi,

In the next few years as the amount of electric cars increase there will be a corresponding amount of electric cars written of due to accidental damage therefore the amount of parts available should increase.

The battery would be of value to the breakers so that might not be that cheap. 

Steve 

Steve,

Look at eBay.  We - you- aren't interested in a collection of massive lead-acid batteries, as in Colin's example.      The cheapest EV battery pack is more than £300.  By the bottom of the page they are £900, and all those are from hybrid vehicles, that needed an ICE engine to achieve a decent range, and a full pack will cost more than four figures.    They aren't scrapped, because they are in demand for electric power storage, from wind or sunlight.    After all, a carpack that has lost its charge capability by 30% will really feed range anxiety, but still can hold enough to keep you TV alight for a long time!

I think electrifying our cars is a great idea.
Technology is racing ahead so in the next few years I imagine it will become a viable proposition.
GM and Ford already offer 'crate' electric motors for some of their cars.
Plenty of info out there about conversions the only hinderance at present is the cost.
Local to me there is a company that is about to convert the owners GT6 having experimented first on MGs
https://www.evclassic.co.nz/
The easy way seems to be to leave the gearbox (overdrive can be kept) in place and replace the ICE with an electric motor

I saw an electric motorbike recently and what impressed me was how quiet and smooth it was, this could be a revelation for many of used to our cars coughing, farting and wheezing there way down the road🤪

My ideal would be to convert the car in such a way that the ICE can be reinstated easily for what ever reason.
It is you car and you can do whatever you like with it.

Maybe by the time I get to rebuild my Vitesse Mk2 CV I will go electric.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I am like you Colin, I live adjacent to a disused railway line which is now a cycle, walk trail.

A local group are reinstating the line on part of the track bed,

Well very simply one of the volunteers has a Triumph Tolledo and I will be working in my workshop on my Triumphs when they all go home and I know it is 4pm when I here him drive away it is the Triumph sound and I really would miss that.

I am lucky I have two 13/60 Heralds and therefore I can have the best of both worlds.

Very simply I mostly drive short distances on B road's for a distance of approx 20 miles there and back.

So my project car would be perfect for this, no high fuel costs and good feeling that my journeys that I take are not essential, a drive to the sea cliffs to walk the dog would be so good.

My other car would give me the fun of driving a traditional car and my euro box is for long journeys 

Steve