Which Vitesse Distributor

Mark B

Hi all

My Vitesse is a late 71 steering lock model, with one previous recorded keeper. It has a Lucas 41305 fitted. Read somewhere the late Vitesse had a Delco distributor fitted. Can anyone confirm which distributor would have been  originally fitted.

Thanks

They could have had either as 'Second sourcing' was common in all engineering companies. Finding originals is difficult and there is not much difference in the build quality of any new ones now. All sourced from the Far East. I fitted a Delco one on my 2.5 Vitesse because the 2.5 lump has no tacho drive. It does not have the vernier adjuster.

Unleaded fuel requires a very different timing requirements from the old leaded 4 and 5 star. It is all a compromise nowadays, but the six pot engines are quite tolerant. Mine runs best set at 5 degrees btdc static timing.

what numbers are stamped in the dizzy body 

and at least you can repair a lucas   a delco is normally mend it to destruction

both need a squirt of oil down inside to lube the top bush  

lucas wear quite well delco  just wear and the cam becomes uncontrolled with excess side play 

pete

Numbers are 41305 B  then 08-71, presumably the date stamp, pretty sure it's original to the car, only covered 63000 miles. Only questioned it as I read that the Delco was fitted to later vitesse engines, which I now think is not the case.

6 hours ago, Mark B said:

Numbers are 41305 B  then 08-71, presumably the date stamp, pretty sure it's original to the car, only covered 63000 miles. Only questioned it as I read that the Delco was fitted to later vitesse engines, which I now think is not the case.

Delco fitted to Vitesse 1600, all 2L had Lucas. No idea why vitesse used Lucas and GT6 delco, madness! Same as spitfires, a 4 cylinder lucas with dizzy drive is easy to build (swap the centre from a 6 lobe to 4) so they could have used lucas across the whole range.