Driving in 2022 are standards getting worse?

Never mind driving standards; one thing I've noticed recently - following two telling-offs - is the all too common belief that buying a house gives you a parking space outside your front door on the public road. Twice this year it's happened; first time I was getting into my car when a voice goes: "Are you leaving now?" About forty feet away there's a middle-aged woman standing at her door. "Good, then I'll have my parking space back." Public road, no signage, no road markings. I gave her one of Paddington Bear's hard stares and drove off. Yesterday, same thing in a different village; parked just down from the Chemists and waited for the father-in-law to dodder his way up the street when there's a knock on the window. Middle-aged female again. "Can you move please, that's my space." Again no road signs, no markings, no warnings. She was very politely told the legal option if she wished to force me to move. I did wonder, if it was her space, and she was there, where her car was...

we have the monkeys over the road who have a unused drive and 3 cars all parked outside the neighbouring houses 

they obviously own the road and always park the wrong way round at night 

they double park and the bus driver has to knock them up and they come out in their own time 

scurge of the world nobody will take in parcels for them and they f and b at verocious levels as does the whole family 

wonderful   we get all the stares and abuse if you leave the drive and sweep nice and close they come out and examine the van or car to see it you 

marked it , well dont park in the way ,  why do it  "because i can "   complete Aholes 

Pete

To a limited extent we have the opposite issue. Because the Doctors AND Pharamacy, are oposite the end of our close, with a Primary School just about a 100 yards away.  Every weekday "they" Park willy nilly, as close to their intended destination as possible, including on on the double yellow lines on the corner, causing an obstruction. The local "wags" drive 500yards, up from the estate at the bottom, park sometimes even double park! anywhere, often across our drive "I`ll only be a second!", get the sprog(s) out in to the traffic, walk the 100 feet or so to the school gate, indulge in long conversations about sweet FA, before returning and taking the Chelsea Tractor, the same 500yards back down the close. Then, there is the regular "Blue Badge" holder, parked on the double yellows,  who has obviously never read the information that comes with said badge, "I can park anywhere". NO you cannot!, you commit an offence of causing obstruction, Dickl***d!!. This last week I had 2 deliveries on pallets (solar Panels and other kit) both times the driver had no option but to block the road, whilst he delivered!. Our "bins" are now collected at 7-30am, purely because it`s the only time of day they can get a clear run!!. There are "hatchings" painted on the road and signed restrictions, outside the school to prevent parking, and for the SAFETY of the children, and still they park on them whilst delivering the little bundles of joy, the vast majority of "ofenders" live within 10 Min walk. Police???. Never a sign, Parish Council have asked, we locals have asked. Nothing. Where my Boy lives in Texas, everyone of them would have been cited and fined.!. To add to the congestion, the Doctors and Pharmacy staff all park for the day in the Steets/Close` too.

Pete

My personal issue is that for some reason, the use of indicators at roundabouts seems to have changed over recent years with an increasing number of people and possibly now the majority, only ever indicating left to leave the roundabout and never right to show they are coming around it. This is made worse by some of those starting to indicate before they have reached the previous exit and of course, others that don't indicate at all.

Also, these people are frequently in the wrong lane, so wanting to take the 3rd exit at a typical roundabout but taking the outside lane and not indicating right 

I don't know why this has happened or if it is all over the country but it has got to the point where I live where the majority of people do it and is potentially dangerous to them but more importantly, me 😡.

Right, rant over 😒

no rant perfectly right   i have been saying that for some time  some prat has to teach them as its prolific and down right dangerous

its easy indicate to go round and only indicate left when you approach your exit 

there must be a lot of bangs if you pull out without watching the steering and whites of their eyes on where are they going 

i dont drive a lot in but experience in france they dont get it wrong its a UK bred problem 

Pete

22 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

no rant perfectly right   i have been saying that for some time  some prat has to teach them as its prolific and down right dangerous

its easy indicate to go round and only indicate left when you approach your exit 

there must be a lot of bangs if you pull out without watching the steering and whites of their eyes on where are they going 

i dont drive a lot in but experience in france they dont get it wrong its a UK bred problem 

Pete

Glad it's not just me that has noticed this. The other thing that winds me up is people indicating to turn off a road after they have already braked or when an overtaking manoeuvre has already started. Surely indicators are to indicate to other road users what you intend to do in advance, not as some sort of afterthought.

For my own preservation, I want to give as much notice of my intentions to other road users as possible and can't understand why anyone would not want to do so.

But that's like using your lights when visibility is poor, some people just don't see the need to do so. 

IF, we see police, its usually a drive through, and about once every "Sheffield Flood". (local saying for a rare occurnace). The use of Indicators seem to be only for indicatiing with the 4ways imply that you are now invisble whilst double parked?. BMW`s are a decoration, usually. Cyclists SHOULD be registered and identifiable, Tabards with a Code Number on. Fined £100min for not wearing. Mobility scooterists on pavements,  likewise.

Pete

Driving standards?  In the UK?    rarely worse than the "tut-tut!" level.

Compare dashcam footage from the UK, eg:

With the same from Russia:

Both are the first videos found by searching YouTube for "Dashcam UK/Russia".   The second is of course no endorsement of Russia, as should be obvious from the content!

I've said before, Slavic drivers seem to be drunk, drugged or incompetent, whereas UK drivers are just discourteous!

John

25 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Driving standards?  In the UK?    rarely worse than the "tut-tut!" level.

Compare dashcam footage from the UK, eg:

With the same from Russia:

Both are the first videos found by searching YouTube for "Dashcam UK/Russia".   The second is of course no endorsement of Russia, as should be obvious from the content!

I've said before, Slavic drivers seem to be drunk, drugged or incompetent, whereas UK drivers are just discourteous!

John

Reading the news today it appears Russian tank drivers can be a bit careless as well 🤔

One of the reasons, certainly local, for an increased use of Dash Cams. Was the fact that a cadre of East Europeans back in the early "naughties! where running the "No Brakelight`s, close the gap, brake hard" SCAM. Taxi Drivers where amongst the early victim`s, partly because they are always in a hurry!.

Pete

Being a motorcyclist as well as a Triumph car driver, I hate country road crossroads. No matter how "loud" your protective clothing is, or how many lights you have on, many car drivers will just not see you, or if they do they totally underestimate your speed, even if it is well within the limit and consistent with the traffic flow, and just pull out in front of you. You must make eye contact with them so you know they have seen you, and you know that they know too. It still didn't help once when a driver at the white line looked right at me, waited a second or two and then just pulled out across the crossroads where I had right of way. Luckily I was half expecting it so could take avoiding action, but it was a very close encounter. That particular junction (Wivenhoe football ground in Essex) has seen many accidents over the years and I now avoid it.

The most shocking thing I've seen concerning bikers was one summer trip on the M25 northbound, just after coming out of the tunnel, just as the first  slip road joins the motorway. A fast sports bike came onto the M25  and started lane hopping. The rider was normally dressed in leathers, etc. His passenger however, a young lady with very long blond hair flowing from her crash helmet, didn't quite meet the standard normally needed for some degree of protection.

She was wearing a bikini, and nothing else except a pair of plastic flip-flops. She was wearing a crash helmet though, so that's ok.

Moral?. Never wear a long scarf in an open top car?.

Hundreds of people do it every year in the Med holliday places. Hire a sccooter (dangerous things to start with the CofG is too high) and the proceed to ride them, flipflops shorts, and no upper body cover (even some of the "ladies"). Back in the 80`s one of our neighbours kids came back from holiday in the Baleaerics with a very severe "gravel rash", the result of coming off one.

Pete

A couple of things arrive out of this. I explained to Mrs Smith that she ought to get a dashcam for her 'normal' and get one for my van. Maisie is tucked away at Smith Towers, but I know full well that once finished, There will be one or two cameras as well. 

Ian.