J Type overdrive solenoid.

68vitesse

Overdrive bit intermittent today and found wire at back of solenoid a bit iffy, dug out the black stuff using screwdriver and heat gun. White stuff different material so not sure if I can expose enough wire to effect a repair but as it is unusable as it is might end up repairing to destruction.

Replacement solenoid I fitted has a pair of spade connectors so no wires to get damaged.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_20220308_163158.jpg

Managed to remove some of the white stuff today with a Dremel type tool and solder a couple of spade connector's to the remains of the wiring. Looks like l have succeeded in repairing to destruction as a meter doesn't show a reading between the two terminals and twelve volts applied doesn't activate the solenoid.

Replacement solenoid and tidied up wiring working well.

Regards

Paul.

I believe the tech term for the black or white sealant is "potting mix" a two part epoxy of some sort Danfoss supplied it for our buried flow meters  when joining the instrument elect wires to cubical cabling to seal the connections in the terminal box usually rated to say 6mts water submerged use, can't remember the ISO std number.

I still have a couple of sachets I picked up eons ago, used it on the swimming pool lighting connection terminal box's in the pool coping.

Wasn't potting mix also used in the electrical trade for sealing the ends of copper clad pyro cable to stop the insulation inside absorbing moisture and breaking up. I have very vague memories of a sparky using something like a pencil sharpener to cut back the copper cladding before fitting a gland and filling it with the mix. It was a very long time ago so I am possibly wrong but it set like concrete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2022 at 22:03, Badwolf said:

Wasn't potting mix also used in the electrical trade for sealing the ends of copper clad pyro cable to stop the insulation inside absorbing moisture and breaking up. I have very vague memories of a sparky using something like a pencil sharpener to cut back the copper cladding before fitting a gland and filling it with the mix. It was a very long time ago so I am possibly wrong but it set like concrete.

That took me back to when I was doing my time at the local Power Board.
We were doing an instal at one of the gas reticulation stations and fitting explosion proof lights and switches with Pyro cabling.
All my training at Tech told me you were not allowed to add fittings to a Pyro switch if it was not part of the housing.
But as we were the Power Board we could do what we wanted so we happily tapped holes into the switches to allow extra Pyro cables to be fitted to them.

One rule for the rule makers and another for everyone else. 
The gas station is still there 40 years later so it must have been ok.