Vitesse front side/indicator lights

ahebron

Funny how you can work on something for a while before realising something is not right, to your eye.
Working on the front side lights for the Vitesse I sand blasted them, welded a new mounting stud and painted them.
Cleaned the wires and rubber boots up and put spiral wrap on the wires.
It was then that I noticed they do not have an earth connector and rely on the body of the bonnet.
To me that is a no no so will I weld a short stud onto the back of the sidelight and bolt an earth wire to it.
And after that it will be back to the sand blaster and repainting and refixing the wires again.
I could drill a hole and put a machine screw and nut in but prefer to weld it on.

Maybe it is just me.

Don't know about you but trying to do those hard to get lamp body nuts on the inside of the bonnet is a pia, so I used steel Rivnuts riveted into the holes in the bonnet and suitably protected with copper grease to help the bolt earthing. Obviously I had knocked the captive bolts in the lamp base out and replaced them with small head shallow bolts thro the sq hole, the bolt head had to be shallow to let the glass cover seat onto the rubber lamp seal. 

Anything for an easy life!

One of my lamps was missing the lamp body nut and I did think about using a nut and bolt affair but just turned down the head on a set screw of the correct thread and tig welded it to the lamp house. Easiest way to get to the sidelamp at present is through a headlight hole.

8 hours ago, ahebron said:

One of my lamps was missing the lamp body nut and I did think about using a nut and bolt affair but just turned down the head on a set screw of the correct thread and tig welded it to the lamp house. Easiest way to get to the sidelamp at present is through a headlight hole.

Just done that! Very easy with the headlamps removed, plus fitting grommets and routing the cable is much easier from the front.