Rocket Dog Oil.

Wagger

On page 46 of the December 2021 Courier there was a feature on Rocket Dog oil that suggested it reduced noise and made gearchange easier. Have any of you tried this, AND, is it yellow metal compatible?

I have a late 3 rail gearbox on my 2.5 litre Vitesse that whines in sympathy with input revolutions equally in all gears. It does not grate, grind or modulate. My gearbox cover has no sound proofing either.

It is a non-overdrive right now. Would not bother if it had overdrive.

This has become notice-able since reducing other noises (mainly exhaust). The diff is not audible (yet).

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried it. Soundproofing may prove cheaper. Either requires the tunnel out yet again!

Edited by Wagger
Correction

a 140 ep is ok to use in a diff but never ever in the gearbox the baulk rings wont handle the added viscosity 

you wont synchronize and probably just baulk any gear change 

and rocket dog sound more ljke snake oil    surely best avoided

constant input noise is input shaft bearing or cluster needle rollers and spindle 

if it was quieter in 4th then mainshaft tip failure 

Pete

45 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

a 140 ep is ok to use in a diff but never ever in the gearbox the baulk rings wont handle the added viscosity 

and rocket dog sound more ljke snake oil    surely best avoided

constant input noise is input shaft bearing or cluster needle rollers and spindle 

if it was quieter in 4th then mainshaft tip failure 

Pete

It is the same in 4th Pete, However, it only whines when driving, not when coasting.

sounds more like input bearing  easy to change , 

drop the layshaft spindle(make a short dummy shaft)  and knock the input shaft out 

give it a spin   then replace it if its a bit rough 

these often fail if the box has been stored upright on the clutch housing and sediment then runs into the front bearing and is the first to suffer if oil levels are quite low 

Pete

just a thought  does the gearstick move going drive/overun    im thinking  the circlip has popped off the back of the mainshaft bearing 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

sounds more like input bearing  easy to change , 

drop the layshaft spindle(make a short dummy shaft)  and knock the input shaft out 

give it a spin   then replace it if its a bit rough 

these often fail if the box has been stored upright on the clutch housing and sediment then runs into the front bearing and is the first to suffer if oil levels are quite low 

Pete

just a thought  does the gearstick move going drive/overun    im thinking  the circlip has popped off the back of the mainshaft bearing 

Will check that, but I do not remember it moving.

its not uncommon for the clip to pop off this allows the whole gear set to be misaligned to the corresponding gears on the layshaft cluster 

with a mesh whine to go with it all the time   the drive overrun  change in noise  makes this a possible 

again a cheap fix you can pop the tail extension  off whilst still in the car  ( this will dump all the oil ) 

do the simpulze !! first 

just some waffling   and especially as you are poking the torque of the 2.5  through a 3 rail add to the thrust of the gears helices 

Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

its not uncommon for the clip to pop off this allows the whole gear set to be misaligned to the corresponding gears on the layshaft cluster 

with a mesh whine to go with it all the time   the drive overrun  change in noise  makes this a possible 

again a cheap fix you can pop the tail extension  off whilst still in the car  ( this will dump all the oil ) 

do the simpulze !! first 

just some waffling   and especially as you are poking the torque of the 2.5  through a 3 rail add to the thrust of the gears helices 

Pete

Until obtaining the car we had no idea of the mods. It was a bargain at under £2k. History from 1998 unknown. That was a risk worth taking in hindsight. Finding the bits to replace the overdrive and doing what you describe will be a worthy way forward. I'll use it for this Summer on short trips. It will soon tell me if it gets worse. I have funds for the bts now, just need he time and fortitude.

sorry forgot you have a overdrive  checking the rear clip on that is bit of a faf to get the OD off "in Car" 

so its looking like drive for the season and pencil in a box off later in the year when there is time to check the whole thing 

and a 3 rail plus OD is pretty heavy 

Pete

34 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

sorry forgot you have a overdrive  checking the rear clip on that is bit of a faf to get the OD off "in Car" 

so its looking like drive for the season and pencil in a box off later in the year when there is time to check the whole thing 

and a 3 rail plus OD is pretty heavy 

Pete

Sorry Pete. I mislead you. It's non overdrive at present. Overdrive is in the spares box and badge still on car, as it did have one originally. Best answer is to find all of the bits, o/p shaft, adapter plate and prop, then do the whole thing. Meanwhile, use the car whilst the World situation allows eh!.

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Apologies, spotted the 'oil' bit and blanked the gearbox part.

On 24/03/2022 at 07:14, Pete Lewis said:

Thanks for that, I will have to ensure I check out the Box for the 13/60, before reinstall, as its been stored in said manner for over 5 years now?👍 Removal and wash out the bearing?. or just go ahead and replace anyway?. The ones with the Circlip Groove are not cheap? Canley want 22 quid.

Pete

On 23/03/2022 at 21:45, Pete Lewis said:

Ok so why did I pick up the same oil can that I've used on the diff and just filled the gearbox with EP 140?

Managed to drain most of it out again, hopefully a fill of EP90 will dilute it down sufficiently. It's been a long day.

On 24/03/2022 at 09:30, Pete Lewis said:

pop the tail extension  off whilst still in the car

Well, I’m glad I just read this! I got my rebuilt 4 synchro box all fitted to the Herald and ready to test this afternoon. Went for a quick run up and down the lane, all good but the speedo stopped working. Popped the speedo cable on a drill and the cable and instrument were fine. Took the speedo drive out the box, that was fine. Stuck my finger in to feel the worm gear and it was in bits. Had just resigned myself to pulling the whole box out again…

12 hours ago, Josef said:

glad I just read this!

the snag is will it clear the prop tunnel enough to remove it fully 

so drop the mounts and maybe jack it up a bit 

I have refitted the overdrive whilst box is in car but its a right faf 

and needs extra  hands  if you use the two lever trick on the piston plates to release the hub/splines to all self align 

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the snag is will it clear the prop tunnel enough to remove it fully 

so drop the mounts and maybe jack it up a bit 

I have refitted the overdrive whilst box is in car but its a right faf 

and needs extra  hands  if you use the two lever trick on the piston plates to release the hub/splines to all self align 

Pete

Fortunately this one is non overdrive, so fingers crossed. Worth a shot before pulling the whole thing out again!

Something violent has happened to this speedo drive in the past. The white-ish plastic housing on the donor box was snapped in two and the centre of it had melted to the speedo pinion (don’t worry I hadn’t tried reusing that!)