Hello from sunny Cornwall, new Herald owner.

On 02/03/2024 at 20:56, Peter Truman said:

I assume it still has the 13/60 front suspension turrents, as the Spits are different ie the engine mount spacings are wider apart to allow the engine to sit lower. Vit, GT6 and Herald are the same Spits different.

Something I never knew until relatively recently, when someone asked me at a mainland Triumph show if there was any difference and I stated there was not. A nice gentleman standing nearby stepped in and corrected me, no doubt to the relief of the enquirer who was buying one second-hand. Once home I had to check all my spare turrets and found two sets of Spitfire ones that differ from the Herald turrets. I have very early Herald versions that are different yet again, but had always assumed the others were all standard components throughout the range. You learn something every day!

Also being curious?. Would the 1300 Spit engine drop straight in to a 13/60?. The Engine in Plum is not original, said to be from a 1300 Spit?. With the O/D gearbox. I suppose I could take the tarps off the other one and measure up? but as it all works, it`s just curiosity on my part.

Pete

I had a Spit FH 1300 engine and single rail O/D box in my 13/60 until I changed to a 1500 with the same gearbox used, and a 3:63 diff for good measure.

Don`t remember any faff when fitting either.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

Also being curious?. Would the 1300 Spit engine drop straight in to a 13/60?

Yes. Most of the small engines are interchangeable across the range with only small changes required such as keeping the proper front plate etc.

• Like 1