Hello from sunny Cornwall, new Herald owner.

Took all the old stuff off with a stanley knife blade, came off quite easy but I did make some small marks by not keeping the blade flat on the more stubborn bits, in too much of a rush to get it done, so easy does it, very light sand with the 400 grit ( DRY ) wet flat with 1500 grit between coats allowing the varnish 24 hours to dry, maybe longer if is cold weather, left mine to dry in the conservatory by day & put it on the dining table by night to stop it getting damp.

Think it was 4 or 5 coats, but more is better, wanted the car back on the road, if you have lots of time you could get a better finish, making sure it 100% dry between coats is the key.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2022 at 20:33, steveo said:

Took all the old stuff off with a stanley knife blade, came off quite easy but I did make some small marks by not keeping the blade flat on the more stubborn bits

Well, got the first part of the process done, following your lead; mine wouldn't pick off at all and I was worried about damage but a LIDL hot air gun works like magic. I used a wide bladed wallpaper scraper so no damage to the wood.

Next step, sourcing veneer in that size.

FB993CE3-07C6-4190-9CED-DE88C49BD493_1_105_c.jpg.70f2f085fdc91b30f174958092d2b5c3.jpg

I have some Yacht Varnish bought thirty years ago. It has done super jobs on Morris Traveller woodwork and the door cappings on the Vitesse, all done with a soft brush. Down to 1/4 in left in the can. Cannot find the same brand now. Smells nice, so definitely won't be available now. I have 'Patched' some of the dashboard cracks with it and it looks better than it did.

That is a super job that you have done.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paul H said:

How many coats did you use ? 
Paul 

As many as you have patience for!  Nothing worse than working through your different grades of sandpaper to get everything smooth only to find you've through to the vanear.  Not that I'd ever do that <cough>...

Also with Rustin's they basically say to slather it on and from experience they are correct.  It's quite thick so doesn't just run off but does flow and self level as it dries.  Think more someone who REALLY likes Marmite/golden syrup on their toast, not someone who likes an almost transparently thin layer.

From memory as soon as one coats touch dry (I think ~20/30min) you can apply another but if you leave it too long so it starts to harden you really need to leave it 24hrs to complete the process, so guess how long it will take to give all the wood you have a single coat/how amny times you can do that in the time you have and do that many coats, repeating a couple of days later if you want to add more.

Only other Rustin's advice is - buy a good brush but don't expect to keep it.  Even mixed (it's a 2 part mix) sealed in a jar, even with just a piece of cling film, it will keep a couple of days so just leave the brush in the jar, all wrapped in cling film.

• Thanks 1

On 07/10/2022 at 10:47, Paul H said:

How many coats did you use ? 
Paul 

Four coats. But the trick is sanding. I start with 120 to take off Amy nibs then work up to 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1200 than metal polish that usually dose it to a mirror finish, but you can finish off with furniture polish. 

But the more coats you do the thicker the finish. However because it's a 2pack product you can put it on quite thick

Apparently the idea of working up the sanding grade is that it much easier to remove scratches from 120 with 240 than any finer grade. Seems to work I find.

On 07/10/2022 at 16:53, Wagger said:

I do like Rustin's products. Super matt black that goes straight on iron gates. Does not chip unlike hammerite.

I use their woodstain too.

The Yacht Varnish was branded 'International' and was a Courtauld's product.

International Yatch paints and Varnish, where all we used ever on the Mirror, used to set my two boys loose with fine sandpaper during the Easter Holidays, kept them out of mischief, then showed them how to paint. Both now quite good at DIY. the youngest lives on a Thames Barge, so he does a fair bit. The other just get the Mexicans to come and do it (he lives inTexas). International is now owned by AzcoNobel. Based in Gateshead and I believe is still available.

I think I have a Part tin of Yatch Varnish in the Garage too.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Not done a lot to the Herald for a year due to house move & waiting to get a garage sorted, she went in storage at mother in laws for most of 2023 & only came out for a quick run around the block and a few local car shows.

Garage now sorted she is back home & getting the bodywork sorted, replacement drivers door fitted, tub moved back to give it some door gaps, new diff seals to stop it leaking on my new floor, new wing & n/s arch, the best bit a Vitesse front panel ( all the looks with none of the performance !)

Removed 4 layers of paint from the bonnet & got down to a yellow bar coat, looks to be over the original paint, so hopefully the new paint will stick to it ok.

Will keep everyone updated on progress,

Cheers, Steve.

IMGP0001 - Copy.JPG

An early 60's Australian Herald 12/50 Coupe photo recently taken at a TCCV club event with it's original fitment Vitesse style 4 headlight bonnet. Cars were CKD made by The Australiam Motor Industries AMI, a very pretty styled car!

Note original fitment chrome bumpers at the front but not the rear, standard fixture.

Australian AMC CKD assembled 12-50 Coupe - Owned by Theodore Rau Jan 2024 TCCV.jpg

Edited by Peter Truman
  • Like 3

AMI produced around 15,000 saloons, coupes and convertible Heralds here as CKD kits of which 1239 were Coupes of which only 144 were 12/50 Coupes with the Vitesse twin headlight bonnet. No Estates or 13/60 of any type were assembled here.

My 68 Mk2 Vitesse which I've had 54 years and shipped back to Aus in 74 is actually fitted with an Aussie CKD 12/50 bonnet after the original was accident damaged.

Interesting the speel advises the 12/50 saloon had chrome bumper covers front and rear, but none of the still exiisting  Coupes have them at the rear. 

3 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Interesting the speel advises the 12/50 saloon had chrome bumper covers front and rear, but none of the still exiisting  Coupes have them at the rear. 

I always wanted a set of those, or the Cosmic equivalent. If anyone ever has any for sale, let me know.

Cosmic.thumb.jpg.02d77b8f078e9b4495efce37098981db.jpg

On 29/02/2024 at 19:55, steveo said:

the best bit a Vitesse front panel ( all the looks with none of the performance !)

Nice looking car Steve! Had a couple of 13.60 convertibles, great cars, light on their toes compared to the Vitesse.  Owned a mk2 Vitesse for  20+ years. With a little tuning a 13.60 will give a Vitesse a run for its money.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Talking to the previous owner last year & told me the engine has a mk 4 spitfire head, carb has been rebuilt, K&N air filter, stainless exhaust & all the suspension is also from the spitfire & GT6 anti roll bar.

When we got it I was expecting it to be slow as 60 bhp is a lot less than we had before ( RS Focus & 5.0 Camaro ) but it really has some go in it for what it is, fun to drive, handles brilliant & keeps up with modern stuff ok.

Brakes are a little lacking, but you get use to thinking ahead and leaving more space !

Was only meant to be a cheap temporary car as all our money was set aside for a house, but think we will be keeping her as we love it & its so cheap to keep on the road with free tax & £79 insurance.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by steveo

30 minutes ago, steveo said:

suspension is also from the spitfire

Cheers, Steve.

I assume it still has the 13/60 front suspension turrents, as the Spits are different ie the engine mount spacings are wider apart to allow the engine to sit lower. Vit, GT6 and Herald are the same Spits different.

How do I know, when we got the Mk2 Spit the engine just cleared the bonnet and the top hose engine and rad hose ends didn't align, I twigged the issue and got a RH Spit turrent and it fixed everything. The distance from the top wishbone pivot bolts to engine mounting holes are different, in fact the Spits LH and RH measurements are different.

I assume it just has Spitfire springs / shocks on it, rear spring is a Canley replacement, it looks like it sits lower than most Heralds, but it maybe just the weight of all the fiberglass & filler that the previous owner stuck in it !

Very nice bloke that knows Triumphs inside out, but no welder or bodywork expert ( or auto electrician come to think of it ! ) cant fault his mechanical skills as it runs perfect & everything looks like its done right.  

Cheers, Steve.