Hello from sunny Cornwall, new Herald owner.

Hi all, just picked up a cheap 1968 Herald 13/60 in need of lots of tlc, not been on the road for 5 years but it does run & drive, will be getting a budget re commissioning / minor restoration.

Will have lots of questions on bodywork & panel fit, my first Herald, had a Dolomite sprint & a Spitfire before, more in to American cars but due to crazy fuel prices and lack of space thought I would try something smaller.

Cheers, Steveo

IMGP0057.JPG

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Welcome. 13/60s rule :)

Well, Heralds do. If I favour my 13/60 the two 1200s will never talk to me again.

Welcome Steve; what I've seen in your pic looks like mine, white with Vitesse bumpers although my hood is black. Get it rolling, no matter the condition (I had to tell the MOT tester not to laugh) and then it's much easier to work on and fine tune.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Get it rolling, no matter the condition

Wise words, once again, from Colin. Don't worry about its looks. Give it a good service, check over the rubber bits and drive it, any shortcomings will show up soon enough. You'll soon have that Herald smile on your face!

Working my way through the suspension, brakes & welding outriggers, door steps, will get it mot'd and sort out paintwork in the winter, want it on the road for the summer.

It did drive home from Penzance ( 8 miles ) with no problems so it is sort of roadworthy.

25 minutes ago, steveo said:

Working my way through the suspension, brakes & welding outriggers, door steps, will get it mot'd and sort out paintwork in the winter, want it on the road for the summer.

It did drive home from Penzance ( 8 miles ) with no problems so it is sort of roadworthy.

This is the summer! Best weather I've seen in ages and my Heralds in bit as usual. 

I can beat 8 miles... mine drove about 40 miles with no bother, the seller delivered it to me, and I found out later it was so dangerous it had been banned from the road until retested. 😮

• 2 months later...

Its done ! 
Back on the road, just taken her out for a run, gets lots of looks, done about 5 miles, goes well, drives perfect, did borrow some laser tracking gear last weekend & fitted 2 new rear tyres, brakes got better with some use ( new rear shoes )
As for cost it all came in at around £1900 including mot & insurance ( will get mot in next few weeks ) 2 months work, 3 rolls of mig wire, 3 bottles of gas, quarter of a sheet of steel, loads of paint, lot of suspension & steering bits off ebay !
Still needs paint & the body tub moving back to give it some door gaps, will do oil & filter in the near future.
Quite happy with the car, a classic convertible on the road for less than 2k is possible if you can do the work yourself, will get a diy respray in the winter & make all the gaps better, but for now its going to get used for some summer fun :D
Have a good weekend,
Cheers, Steveo.   IMGP0125.thumb.JPG.6fb10ed02aec3892f76a060a60187579.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Well done Steve, enjoy the good weather and fine tune the Herald as you go along.

I'll second that and just add give the car a complete service and lubrication then you know it has all been done. Enjoy the sunny weather!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sue Franklin said:

Great to see another 13/60 back on the road.  Contact your local TSSC Area - Cornwall AO is Carol Coventry.  Get involved with your local group - there is so much going on.

There's a lot going on in Cornwall, if eBay is anything to go by - some great Heralds have come up for sale recently. All the good ones seem to be in that area, Devon as well, and sadly too far for me.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There's a lot going on in Cornwall, if eBay is anything to go by - some great Heralds have come up for sale recently. All the good ones seem to be in that area, Devon as well, and sadly too far for me.

Must have missed all the good ones on eBay, got mine on Gumtree ! will be contacting the local club in a few weeks and hopefully doing any car shows / runs this summer, just fitted some nice second hand Mini Cobra bucket seats that turned up for sale in Bodmin at the weekend ( Gumtree ) so I can now drive it as the Suzuki Swift seats fitted by the previous owner were way to big.

Oil & filter change tomorrow then its properly on the road, keep looking at Vitesse headlights on eBay, think a conversion to 4 lamps will be happening in the near future ( more welding ! )

Thanks to all that have replied to my posts, will keep everyone up to date with any work / upgrades she gets.

Cheers, Steve. 

• 3 months later...

Due to poor weather last week thought I would have a go at tidying up the dashboard as the original varnish was peeling off & it had all gone yellow, after removing it got a stanley blade under the loose stuff & peeled it off.
After a quick look on youtube at furniture restoration rubbed it down with some 400 grit wet & dry, careful not to go through the veneer then 5 coats of polyurethane varnish rubbed down with 1500 grit in-between each coat & a final hit with 2500 grit & a wax polish.
Well pleased with the result, nicer to drive looking at glossy dash, bloke next door didn't believe it's the same one !

IMGP0164.thumb.JPG.b0cea5d26022a6a9b23fa6be01920a0c.JPG

• Like 3

No, done with a bush, did try rattle cans but it was too thin & not filling any pits & imperfections, found some varnish in the shed I used last year for some church gates, only downside was waiting 24 hours between coats, did find my good brushes, think they are Ronseal ones, very soft. 

It had gone yellow & peeled / cracked around the glove box & drivers side end / bottom edge, 2 small holes and a mark between the dials, I think it had a badge in the past.

Worked out better than I thought it would, so bad nothing too lose so got on with it, quite prepared to cover it with fablon or alloy if it all went wrong.

Watching woodworkers on Youtube was a big help as never worked on veneered wood before.  

Cheers, Steve.

IMGP0062.thumb.JPG.3d31f690ffe1f0a0b8ba44f63daeb41b.JPG