Triumph Radios

Peter Truman

Just come up on ebay here in Aus and advertised as a Herald Radio $20 start price Item 255468629952

Radio obviously not the usual one fitted in the 70/s big saloons, it's obviously early 60's vintage. The face lists the available stations of the time by the Aus States

Herald Radio Front.jpg

HeraldRadio Rear.jpg

I do like an old radio, can this one be saved? Is the logo on the glass or the back plate? If on the backplate a new glass would be easy. The damage upper right a bit more troublesome, some filler perhaps? And careful painting. As to the innards, it's transistor and you won't tell the difference from a modern implant, but if it were valves, the holy grail!

Doug (Once a member of the Institute of Electronic and Radio Engineers)

28 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I do like an old radio, can this one be saved? Is the logo on the glass or the back plate? If on the backplate a new glass would be easy. The damage upper right a bit more troublesome, some filler perhaps? And careful painting. As to the innards, it's transistor and you won't tell the difference from a modern implant, but if it were valves, the holy grail!

Doug (Once a member of the Institute of Electronic and Radio Engineers)

It's hard to tell but the logo looks to be behind the glass and the station data is on the glass, in front of the needle.

I've photographed a few different models over the years but that's a new one to me.

Hey the radio face is called PATINA! I have an Omega Seamaster Watch I brought in 62 aged 16 duty free in Copenhagen waiting for my dad to fly in from Aus on a 2 day business trip, I still use the watch every day and get it cleaned and serviced every 3 years the face has sun spots on it so a while ago I asked my little Jewish Jeweler to source a new face for it he said definitely NOT its the watch's patina, it's showing it's age with pride!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I have an Omega Seamaster Watch I brought in 62

I have an Omega Seamaster, got it for my 21st in 1969. I found the place the jewellers send them too for service, I take it there every 3-4 years when it starts to slow down. The glass face is pre modern armoured glass and gets vey scratched, so it's a new glass every time. I had the same problem with the dial and very pleased I got it changed, it looks good! Patina? I think your man's pulling your wire, he just can't get them!  Does my GT6 have patina, No it doesn't! :lol: 

Doug

Ref Omega watch glass yep mine scratch's easy too so I give it a polish with Autosol and it looks new, tickety boo!

Daughter brought a 2yr old Mazda CX5 last month the centre console PDNR plastic cover had an etched stain in it around 2in long (nail varnish remover or possibly Covid disinfectant alcohol?) 10min with Autosol and plastic covers like new, she's happy!