Odd flasher problem

So here's the thing: when I switch on the right indicator I get a single flash on the dashboard indicator and the RH sidelight bulb flashes rapidly. When I switch on the left indicator it works perfectly, although maybe a little fast. The RH indicator bulb has continuity.

So, is this an flasher unit failure? I have a replacement GFU103  but Canleys list the number as GFU2103: is that the same part? The pin-out is different: this has terminals marked L, P and X which isn't the same as my Haynes manual.

Or is it an earthing problem? We are talking a Bond Equipe, so it has a separate earth screwed to the rear of the sidelight/flasher pressing but this has never been a problem in the past.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Taylor said:

Poor earth on the light unit, or the flasher?

I'd guess the light - try earthing each temporarily in turn and see what happens.

As for the flasher terminals - mine are L P and B, so white to B, light green pink to P and light green brown to L. Terminal X is usually the same as B.

• Thanks 1

In the end it was a very corroded (crunchy/crumbly!) female bullet connector that joined several earths together; it sits just below the grille and despite being swathed in insulating tape, must have got wet over the years.  The insulation on the connector had bubbled so presumably the increased resistance had caused some overheating. And of course the mounting screws for the sidelight/indicator had seized and needed drilling out...:mad: Fortunately the old (and original?) flasher unit works perfectly so the spare -which may not even be the correct one!- can go back in its box.

Why do half-an-hour jobs take four hours?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Patrick Taylor said:

Why do half-an-hour jobs take four hours?

Because you let the garage man do the pricing.... :)

I was quoted 400 - FOUR HUNDRED - hours to replace a GT6 boot floor. That's not four hundred pounds, but four hundred hours. Needless to say he didn't get the job.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Because you let the garage man do the pricing.... :)

I was quoted 400 - FOUR HUNDRED - hours to replace a GT6 boot floor. That's not four hundred pounds, but four hundred hours. Needless to say he didn't get the job.

Wouldn’t even take that if you hand fabricated the whole panel from scratch… Got to assume they were factoring in plenty of tea breaks.

1 hour ago, Patrick Taylor said:

Perhaps he didn't want to do it?

I had thought that, he was one of around seven or maybe nine so-called 'bodyworkers' who came, looked, and walked away... I think it was beyond his skills, but he told me that the last one he had done took so long as it also needed sills etc. Some of these guys fit a replacement front bumper to a Renault Clio with Philips screws and call themselves bodyworkers these days. 

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Yes, I have noticed. In the time it takes Mathew to rebuild his cars, I can.....change a spark plug!!!!

In the time it takes you to change a spark plug I manage to remember where they are fitted on the car 🤔