Herald Alternator conversion kit recommendations

AndyPaps

Can anyone recommend a good supplier for an alternator conversion kit for a Herald 13/60 please? Prices seem to vary a fair amount, but I’d like to check what experiences other people have had. So far I’ve looked online at Wins International, Quiller, James Paddock, and Rimmer Bros.

Any advice and recommendations will be very gratefully received 

Thanks!

The one from Paddocks had a nice machined aluminium bracket and went on easily. The alternator itself was a no-name thing and we’ll see how long it holds up I guess. Felt like quite a lot for what it is though. There’s a few people quite keen on smaller Denso type alternators 

I used the Win's kit on my Vitesse. Swapped the adjuster bracket with the one in the kit, all fitted, lined up and worked after following the instructions on how to connect to the old regulator box.

Almost any Alternator can be fitted so long as you have patience and/or can modify bits. However, best not to go for anything exceeding 500 watts or you could damage wiring. Careful placement of fuses can get over that too. Depends how much you want to do.

I chose the Denso because of reliability issues . Previously I had a Dynamator which failed after 1500 miles . Replaced under warranty and sold on EBay . The Denso is 40amps which is plenty for our cars , tiny in comparison and used on Kit Cars and Kubuto diggers . I found I didn’t need any brackets and the pulley is included . Not sure how your 13/60 compares to the Vitesse and pics are of the setup 

E3A28B2A-E283-4C7F-9C55-07A749D849AB.thumb.jpeg.e99a270982f65acde029ee4cd59d18a0.jpeg

FFE754A8-2E36-4757-A3B7-7333DFC0509B.thumb.jpeg.a75961e81857177421c322653a53b136.jpeg

Cost about £80 

Paul

Hello Andy

This the set up on my Spitfire I have been on Denso for about 6 years ans as Paul says 40amp is plenty and I run EFI and the pump is running all the time 

Roger

ps I have fitted one to my Vitesse as well

DSC09196.JPG

6 hours ago, Paul H said:

I found I didn’t need any brackets and the pulley is included . Not sure how your 13/60 compares to the Vitesse and pics are of the setup 

Was that using the original C40 L dynamo mounting brackets on for the block, do you know Paul?. It looks like the tensioning one is a generic adjustable cable thingy?  

6 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Yes the adjustable thingy is the original one from the Dynamo . 

I've seen folk use those, though I think original is flat, though with a curved footprint, and corresponding cut out groove, to slide the dynamo for tensioning fan belt? 

55 minutes ago, AndyPaps said:

Thanks everyone. It’s inspired me to order a Denso alternator and give it a go!

Question for those who have done it... is there a specific model number for the 40Amp Denso alternator?

Thanks

Andy

16404 40amp There are others that will fit . Plus you will see copies at cheaper prices 

Paul 

14 hours ago, Paul H said:

The above post has all the info you need 

Paul 

Thanks Paul, really appreciate you a) pointing me in the right direction, and b) writing it all up so clearly in the first place!

Cheers!!