Dynamo to Alternator conversion, Vitesse Mk1

Paul Amey

There are loads of suppliers and most will contain instructions on how to modify the control box etc. It is all just linking some connections and removing others.

I used a kit from Wins International. Dead simple.

Thread drift sometimes makes searching confusing, and we all have our own way of doing things.

58 minutes ago, Paul Amey said:

Thanks for that, it's the wiring conversion I need to study.

really simple. On the control box:

1. Ditch the earth

2. Connect F and WL

3. Connect the rest of the cables together. This is a chance to add fuses if you so wish. 

On 16/07/2022 at 14:32, clive said:

really simple. On the control box:

1. Ditch the earth

2. Connect F and WL

3. Connect the rest of the cables together. This is a chance to add fuses if you so wish. 

2 minutes ago, Paul Amey said:

Thank you very much. That is really helpful.

Now, at the Alternator are three terminals together two wide one's and a normal small one.

All male spade connectors.On the loom are three cables, Brown with yellow tracer , large female spade connector.Brown with green tracer,  small female spade connector and white with small female spade connector. Do you have instructions for this end as well please?

21 minutes ago, Paul Amey said:

Now, at the Alternator are three terminals together two wide one's and a normal small one.

All male spade connectors.On the loom are three cables, Brown with yellow tracer , large female spade connector.Brown with green tracer,  small female spade connector and white with small female spade connector. Do you have instructions for this end as well please?

Not with my wiring diagrams, and no wish to get this wrong....

However, the 2 large terminals on an ACR alternator are joined, and are the charge outputs. The brown/yellow is the main charge wire, so that fits on the big terminal. 

I think the brown/green is the old field wire, so connects to the small alternator terminal. But check

White?? that is an ignition switched live if original. No idea where that has come from.

Finally, as your new alternator probably kicks ouy more than the dynamo, it is a good ide to get a length of 30A wire (similar to the thick wire you already have) and fit to the 2nd large terminal, and attach direct to the battery positive or the solenoid terminal that the battery supplies. This will stop te original wire ever getting overloaded, and improves charging.

2 hours ago, clive said:

Not with my wiring diagrams, and no wish to get this wrong....

However, the 2 large terminals on an ACR alternator are joined, and are the charge outputs. The brown/yellow is the main charge wire, so that fits on the big terminal. 

I think the brown/green is the old field wire, so connects to the small alternator terminal. But check

White?? that is an ignition switched live if original. No idea where that has come from.

Finally, as your new alternator probably kicks ouy more than the dynamo, it is a good ide to get a length of 30A wire (similar to the thick wire you already have) and fit to the 2nd large terminal, and attach direct to the battery positive or the solenoid terminal that the battery supplies. This will stop te original wire ever getting overloaded, and improves charging.

Again, thank you very  much. I believe the white wire goes to the coil positive side.

• 4 weeks later...