Random loose connections!

Scottie78

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of refitting the interior of my Spitfire 1500 and after removing the passenger side glove box I found a number of loose unconnected wires (coloured RED, RED/GREEN, BLACK and RED/BLUE. After consulting my trusty Haynes wiring diagram (FH107649) I suspect they may be spare connections for a Rear Fog Lamp that can be fitted as an option? It would be great if anyone can confirm that this is a correct diagnosis and that I can just leave them neatly tucked behind the Glovebox when I come to refitting. 

ad4b4f68-efb1-466a-be43-d3eef9be25e2.jpg

3e631a84-46c0-41a8-bbfa-e55c870ecb88.jpg

Pink and white one is for radio, if that's the colour of the one in first photo / right. I can't make it out for sure. The ring terminal is probably an earth, just attach it to the nearest suitable bolt or screw.

The other one to the left in the second photo, given where it is, may be for a map reading light. No problems with leaving them disconnected, as long as you make sure they can't short off anything. 

You could always test them for power, to see if they work with ignition on or off.

This came up somewhere else on a 1500 Spit and the blue/red wires with the fuse holder had a 10A fuse in it. Although not confirmed by the owner it was thought to be a supply from the dip switch to the headlights so should have power only when the dip beam is illuminated....

not poured over the circuit diagram but in general  .....

a plain red is generally side lights and  dash illumination 

if the blue /red is predominently blue witha red trace its dip beam 

green and red is things like stop/indicators etc    serviced from a ignition controlled feed 

black is earthed 

Pete

2 minutes ago, johny said:

Is that connector confirmed to be a fuse holder Scottie? The internals of one half should be spring loaded...

Definitely looks like a fuse holder but I would like to know where the other ends are before fitting a fuse. 

12 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if the blue /red is predominently blue witha red trace

I think they're both predominantly red. You need to refer to the late (FH100020 on) 1500 Spitfire wiring diagram which shows RG feeding an optional switch link to an RU that feeds the optional rear fog light. I'd have expected them to be nearer the driver rather than the passenger but that just means the missing optional bits had longer wires.

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

Definitely looks like a fuse holder but I would like to know where the other ends are before fitting a fuse. 

I don't think they look like fuse holders. I think they look like the single pin version of the 3mm connectors used on Dolomites and late Spitfires.

i agree don't think there fuse holders I have one of the plastic connecters in my hand it's from a later Triumph model wiring loom, it has a male small round push connector in it, the connector has a little raised lip on the inside to lock onto the other plastic connector.

So that would make the two connectors shown separate circuits.

40 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Interesting. I have no connectors like that on my '72 MkIV Spit in the area of the main block connector.

No, you won't, as it's too early.

38 minutes ago, johny said:

ok then it looks like the dip lights and an indicator probably wont work

Again, no. Read what I said above - these wires are for an optional rear fog light. The original poster had done his research, quoted his commision number (which is an appropriately late one) and already guessed correctly. Why are all the experts on here ignoring that and barking up wrong trees?

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. As a new member to this forum it has been great to receive such support. Just to confirm, the connectors shown are not fuse holders. The white connectors are female (RED/BLUE and RED GREEN wires) and the black connector (RED Wire) is male. This is the reason I was originally concerned that the RED may have become disconnected from either the RED/BLUE or RED/GREEN. It looks from the discussions like this is somewhat  unique to very late model 1500s! As mentioned in the original post I did consult the Haynes wiring diagram but as a Mechanical Engineer I struggle with anything that cannot be fixed by a hammer or a spanner!  For now I am going to go with the optional Rear Fog Light hypothesis but will make sure the stray BLACK wire is correctly earthed. The "spare wires" all have connectors on the ends so it should be safe to tuck them away again behind the passenger glove box.

For anyone who is interested, below is my Spit. Bought as a 21st Birthday present to myself...over 30 years ago 🙂 

9f270975-f9ab-460d-8170-d9fa4d554ef3.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

if everything is working the earth eyelet may just be redundant  anyway ...what is it / was it  supposed to be  earthing ???   comes to mind 

Pete

It's just an earth, my GT6 had one in the same area so I always attached it to the spire clip behind the glove box and put the screw through it when fitting the glovebox. You can never have too many earths...