13/60 randomly turning off or kicking back, high temps

Quack

1 hour ago, Quack said:

now i have to get an electrician to redo all of the wiring costing £450.

I have no real idea but I would have thought £450 for a complete rewire is low. It cropped up somewhere else I think it was about under dash wiring and I'll say what i said then.

If my local man would rewire my 13/60 for that it would be booked in now for the end of the season.

A new loom is £240 ish https://www.autosparks.co.uk/triumph-herald-wiring-harness-set-8 and if you just fitted the front section you could do it with minimal strip down. So with £210 for labour which’ll be 2-4 hours at a guess, maybe that’s feasible.

Anyway, while in principle I agree with everyone who is saying the garage that broke it should fix it, personally I’d get them to buy you a new loom and fit it yourself. Basically get your car far away from someone who would manage to do this in the first place, and is expecting you to hand over more money to them to rectify their errors. Those are Not Good Signs, and I’d be wary of the end result, or more issues occurring…

• Like 2

I’ll agree with the team; any professional garage which accepts a vehicle for repairs and damages it during the work is liable. If they failed to take proper precautions either through ignorance of the vehicle or through negligence then they’re liable, and repairs must be carried out to the satisfaction of the owner.

I had a similar situation with my Vitesse,  I informed my insurance company and they advised the ( Supplier ) was at fault and would provide me with legal advice . Once the  seller knows you have taken legal advice they quickly try to settle which happened in my case . 
Paul 

• 1 month later...

Well hello again everyone, it's been quite some time. The mechanic has FINALLY gotten back to me with some news.

They believe they've got it working and the issue was simply a blocked carb! Which does make sense as i was having issues in a previous thread in which i believed there to be a vaccum leak or some kind of air intake related issue. He said he'll call me again tomorrow with more news. He did say on the phone that he would pay for the wiring loom so that seems ok...hopefully the end bill isn't too high.

It's a shame i broke down on the roadside and had recovery take it to the garage. If it was still at home i imagine we all would've reached the conclusion that it was the carb by now.

Anyway will keep posted here if needs be but if not, I can finally put this mammoth thread to bed.

The only sad news is that i now have to sell the car as soon as i get it back as i'm away for 6 months and have no decent storage. Wish i had more time with it over summer but such is life!