New Herald/Vitesse Rear Overriders?

Jon J 1250

Sorry cant help with these specifically but I know the chroming process used on replacement overriders has been poor in the past. Obviously its an expensive part of their fabrication and seems to be done straight onto steel unlike the Triumph originals so they look great but quickly deteriorate....

Fitchetts, I'd like to think, produce quality items but sadly only time tells. I bought 'new' overriders years ago for the Estate - can't remember who from but I'll probably have the receipt somewhere - and they lasted less than ten years on a car that never left the garage. The chrome just fell off the rusty metal underneath. Poor preparation, probably. I have two others from a different supplier, still in the box and greaseproof paper, and I'm scared to open them in case they've gone the same way and it's wasted money... :)

My overrider from Fitchetts (well, via the club for the discount!) was identical in shape to the original I removed (same cannot be said of the Bastuck Mk3 Spit rear bumper I got from JP). I’ve not had it long enough to comment on the longevity of the chrome though. 

Some people in the Trade refer to this poor quality chrome as " show chrome". I have an original new old stock overrider on one side and a modern repro on the other side. The chrome on the original has almost a blue tint whereas the modern one has a slightly brown tint. The difference is obvious when you look.

I found a couple of photos whilst, as usual, looking for something else. These were fitted to a newly painted Herald about 2004 / 2005, restoration never finished so it never left the garage. I've no idea from whom they were bought, probably NOT Fitchetts, but they're woeful.

DSCF6626.thumb.jpeg.fc13dff3357230e8ffd868f510c3bea4.jpeg

DSCF6629.thumb.jpeg.23bb4cc99f282029637e4531404db836.jpeg

By contrast, if you look at the front overriders, which were parked facing the roller door and thereby got the breeze blowing through the cracks full on, they're speckled but not seriously rusty.

DSCF4848.thumb.jpeg.000b792b74cdffbb29461b76953e67ec.jpeg

On the general subject of chrome. Is it really worth having something that's pitted and speckled rechromed, assuming that you can get a decent job, or is it best just to polish and protect as best and claim it's patina!! This is for real life, not a 'concours trailer queen'.

On 23/07/2022 at 13:40, Badwolf said:

On the general subject of chrome. Is it really worth having something that's pitted and speckled rechromed, assuming that you can get a decent job, or is it best just to polish and protect as best and claim it's patina!! This is for real life, not a 'concours trailer queen'.

Subjective, but I actually prefer patina/less glass finish, on all areas