herald estate petrol pipe

iana

i need to replace the fuel line (hoses) on the estate, there is a couple of rubber hoses in the fuel feed to the pump, but im trying to find out the correct route / material for the fuel pipe from the pump to the carb as its currently a long length of fuel hose and i would have expected it to be solid pipe - is there a decent diagram showing the route

The original pipe would have been steel from the pump (an olive fitting), wiggle past the distributor, up a bit and along the top of the block, round the front clipped behind the water pump and diagonally to the carb, where a short stub of rubber hose joins it to the float chamber inlet.

It actually is a solid pipe, there should be no hoses at all but a screw fitting into the pump and carb.

Here are a few photos of mine, replaced by me but not necessarily 100% factory accurate - it's in kunifer for a start. It curves round the rear of the distributor, along the head, then under the waterpump housing (with a clamp to the top bolt) and then to the carb.

IMG_0161.jpg.27f173399c48f648d44983df2b7db2d3.jpg  IMG_0158.jpg.44ff0c68a14c3769f797f57cbe027e2a.jpg IMG_0159.jpg.f3290b826d878a0e21718f092c81d8ac.jpg

EDIT: 13/60 Estate with Stromberg, almost the same except at the carb, where it's a short (2") length of rubber as a push-fit.

• Thanks 1

You will need a nice piece of annealed copper to make a neat job like that, and some small pipe benders. I use my thumbs but I was trained to bend solid copper wire on switchgear panels. Do not use pliars!

Hard copper can easily be annealed by making it red hot with a blowtorch and allowing to cool in air. It work hardens so bear this in mind if you make a mistake.

My Vitesse has steel pipe around the engine but short rubber pieces splitting to the carbs and from the pump outlet to this pipe. Stay well away from the fan and exhaust.

They are fun are'nt they? Left one on once as an excuse for armouring. The internal ones for the larger bore remain hidden when you get them stuck. Luckily, they shrink in diameter if twisted the 'Right' way.

I wish that I had salvaged the solid copper bending and looping tools from Allen West when they folded up. Those enabled us to create perfect loops in order to fit on terminals of all sizes from 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter.

There were all sizes of round nose pliars for the smaller gauge wires too.

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

Ah, yes, I'm unfamiliar with the 1200 / Solex arrangement so I described a 13/60 with Stromberg.

You were correct!! It's a 13/60 with the short rubber pipe, I had to look up Iain's profile to confirm it's a 13/60 after reading your first post. At least we've covered both angles.

image.png.321300111331b47c4b016e6aa13cae03.pngimage.png.2fb42fb501fc1e03542890302798fa8f.png

13/60. Dodgy images as the engine is parked in a Dark Corner, but you can get the general idea. Currently a steel pipe with short hose connection, may well get re-made in copper with brass fittings, and I am tempted to take it behind the Thermostat housing too.

Pete

• Thanks 1