Studs or Bolts ?

Royston W

Sorry , but while I'm attempting to understand Bolt dimensions, could I also ask about spanner sizes too, does a 9/16" spanner relate to a 9/16" bolt ?

The bolts on the end of the exhaust manifold are definitely undone with a 9/16" spanner , and their thread seems to be UNF,  

13 minutes ago, Royston W said:

Sorry , but while I'm attempting to understand Bolt dimensions, could I also ask about spanner sizes too, does a 9/16" spanner relate to a 9/16" bolt ?

The bolts on the end of the exhaust manifold are definitely undone with a 9/16" spanner , and their thread seems to be UNF,  

UNF spanner sizes are given as AF. This means ‘across flats’ - the distance between parallel faces of a nut/bolt. The thread size is the diameter of the actual threaded part of the bolt. 

Normally a given thread size corresponds to a given spanner size. But there are exceptions (seatbelt bolts usually have larger than ‘normal’ heads relative to their thread for example)

17 minutes ago, Royston W said:

See which size of spanner fits the bolt shank, not the head. That's the lazy man (me) method of checking the required size. A 1/2 inch spanner might fit the hex head but the actual hole required is 5/16, and so on, so I'll fit the bolt into a smaller spanner and if it touches the sides of the 5/16, or a 3/8 or 1/4 then that's the size I need.

9 minutes ago, NonMember said:

There's a particular oddball with the 7/16"UNF which is specified to have 5/8" AF bolt heads but 11/16" AF nuts, IIRC.

The one I was thinking of was 7/16” UNF. I’ve got ex seatbelt fitting kit bolts with larger heads than the non-seatbelt specified ones I bought. Recently fitted a vice to my metalwork bench with a mix of these so it was stuck in my head. 

thank you for all the info. Seems like I will have to remove inlet and exhaust manifolds in order to gain access to the stud holes. Just to complicate matters I searched all the spares that came with car , including a large box of nut and bolts of assorted sizes and threads ( certainly not all from this car) and found 3/8" stud with UNC one end and UNC the other so if this is a missing stud ,the holes in the head might actually be UNC. 

Life is never simple.

Thanks again

Royston

Certainly something strange seems to have happened to leave out those fixings - the exhaust gasket wont last very long before leaking. Can you take that bolt out on the far RH end of the exhaust manifold or find a suitable length 3/8 UNF bolt and try it in the empty holes to verify what the thread is and if its any good?

Yes theyve got changed over the years but would have been studs originally to facilitate installing the gasket and then sliding on the whole manifold assembly. I would expect UNF in cast iron and then the courser UNC thread used in softer metals or where theres risk of cross threading...

unfortunately there is no access to " the holes" without taking off carbs and inlet manifold, just ordering new studs and gaskets from Rimmer bros and have begun the tedious task of removing carbs ( fitted with heat shields that restrict access to their bolts too)

Oh the fun of it, just unbolting stuff , taking it off, putting it back on, 🤪 then tightening it up again, a mechanics life !

the studs are 3/8 x24unf both ends  the head is  tapped 3/8" x24 UNF   they are not UNC 

you can use a setscrew iinstead of studs  f you can get them in and aligned without removing the manifold 

you only need a length in the head of 1.5 times its diameter so thickness of flange plus around 0.6"

Pete