Single piece propshaft -- Is a sliding two section replacement available?

jagnut66

Is there a sliding two section prop available to replace the standard single piece unit fitted to Heralds?

The single piece prop is a proper pain to remove and refit, the two section prop made up to mate to my OD box was a pleasure to install / uninstall by comparison.

I did look at fitting this but it is too short due to the OD box being longer.

Thanks and best wishes,

Mike.

37 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Is there a sliding two section prop available to replace the standard single piece unit fitted to Heralds?

The single piece prop is a proper pain to remove and refit, the two section prop made up to mate to my OD box was a pleasure to install / uninstall by comparison.

I did look at fitting this but it is too short due to the OD box being longer.

Thanks and best wishes,

Mike.

When you say 2 piece prop, do you really mean it has a UJ (or CV joint) in the middle? That would mean a centre bearing too?

Or do you mean one with a sliding joint? I am prett sure heralds had either a solid prop, or used the strap drive arrangement (of which I have nothing positive to say)

I wouldn't buy a prop from Rimmers, but rather go direct to Dave Mac or other prop manufacturer. At least then you can ask if it was made with quality UJs.

10 hours ago, clive said:

I am prett sure heralds had either a solid prop, or used the strap drive arrangement

I read somewhere that the factory default was solid, and the strap drive used if the car suffered vibration, with a small number of sliding spline ones made for dealer retrofit to "problem" cars.

A propshaft maker such as Dave Mac or Bailey Morris will be able to build you a sliding spline one of the right length.

20 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I read somewhere that the factory default was solid, and the strap drive used if the car suffered vibration, with a small number of sliding spline ones made for dealer retrofit to "problem" cars.

A propshaft maker such as Dave Mac or Bailey Morris will be able to build you a sliding spline one of the right length.

Every strap drive I have come across has been a problem, from mild to horrendous. I have removed the straps and rotated the end 90 degrees (putting the UJs out of phase) which cured the vibrations on 2 cars. 

And yes, solid props are the most common on heralds. But they are a pain to fit, sliding joint is much easier.

Thanks to all for the above.

I have sent messages to both Dave Mac and Baily Morris, asking for a quote for a sliding joint version. 

I shall also ask for greaseable joints to be fitted, the ones on my solid prop are 'sealed for life' items, which I don't rate at all.

I much prefer the type with nipples that you can grease yourself.

Best wishes,

Mike.

6 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

Thanks to all for the above.

I have sent messages to both Dave Mac and Baily Morris, asking for a quote for a sliding joint version. 

I shall also ask for greaseable joints to be fitted, the ones on my solid prop are 'sealed for life' items, which I don't rate at all.

I much prefer the type with nipples that you can grease yourself.

Best wishes,

Mike.

The best quality UJs are not greasable. Of course, there are cheap UJs that aren't either. 

Saying that a Herald or vitese etc is unlikely to trouble prop UJs too much. Driveshafts a different matter.

Hi, 

This is the reply I got from Dave Mac:

Good morning 

We can build you a brand new telescopic propshaft to replace your original for £165 PLUS VAT lead time is around 2 weeks and delivery would be £20 PLUS VAT.

All we need is your flange to flange working (normal vehicle height) measurement and you are welcome to send your original unit so we can double check the flange pattern (we will send this back to you) or if you can send us a sketch of the PCD Bolt hole size and distances and also let us know if you have any clearance issues with flange fittings, if you have any large nuts protruding from your rear axle flange?

I thought the price quite reasonable but (especially as the prop is now reattached to the car and I don't have a spare to measure or send them) where can I get the rest of the info they're after?
Are the specs for the prop listed anywhere? Or does anyone have these noted down from when they've bought one in the past?

Is a Herald 13/60 prop the same length / bolt pattern as one for a 1200? If so I may have an option B.............. (cunning plan to Baldrick fans...........)
Many thanks,
Mike.

This page is quite useful and yes all standard Heralds have the same length propshafts. However I would recommend getting under the car to measure it exactly and photo the couplings at each end because you dont want to get this wrong and parts might have been changed by previous owners over the years. Then, if needed, you can post the pics on here and people will tell you all the required info....

You could ask Dave Mac what make of UJs they will install.

Propshaft Problems : Canley Classics