Flickering oil pressure light

1969Mk3Spitfire

Thanks to you all for the comments, much appreciated.

I’ll follow your suggestion first, Pete, and buy a new GPS117 switch. I’ll also look around for a pressure gauge, pipe and fitting albeit I only want to fit it as a temporary measure. Any suggestions?

If crank and con rod bearings need changing, that will be an end of season, engine out job.

5 minutes ago, johny said:

Do you know the history of the engine and a reliable mileage figure? Also is there much knocking when you start the engine?

55,000 genuine, fully documented miles.

There is some knocking at cold start up but not what I think of as excessive. With typical infrequent use, fuel has usually drained away so it’s not an instant starter. The oil light is normally out after a few key turns and before it’s built a head of steam and fired.

It has club oil and filter, changed at the start of the season and done less than 1,000 miles this year.

59 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

I’ll also look around for a pressure gauge, pipe and fitting albeit I only want to fit it as a temporary measure. Any suggestions?

You can buy oil pressure kits off eBay for about £30 incl delivery. The kits come with gauge, hose and adapters in a plastic case. Make sure it has a reasonable graduation for lower psi values and a 1/8th npt adapter for the engine take off (most have about 10 adapters included). 

If as you say the engine hasn't any undue knocking or rumbles it may well be a duff switch. For an extra £30 you'll know for sure and another bit of kit to stow on the top shelf! 

Iain 

Just now, Pete Lewis said:

vote the other way  fit a £5 switch if that doesnt solve it then buy a kit 

I agree but it's nice to have toys and if someone wants to check their oil pressure you can loan it out. 

Iain 

PS Buy a blood pressure machine as well (£19.99 at Boots) to see if sorting this out lowers your BP!! 

4 minutes ago, Iain T said:

PS Buy a blood pressure machine as well (£19.99 at Boots)

ive got one of those too

they have taken me off the pills as BP is too low filling in a test sheet as we speak  

managed a couple of parachute rolls into the garden if i got up quickly 

keep taking the pills they are supposed to help    ....help what !!!

Pete

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

they have taken me off the pills as BP is too low

Thread drift coming..... 

My father in law just had a mini stroke and is taking BP pills. We bought him a BP machine and his was 100/60 and hr 80. Pretty low bp but high hr. I'm the opposite 50-60 HR and 130ish over 80 BP. His doctor said he has to drink 8 large glasses of water per day to keep his BP up. Yes you guessed it at 87 years old he's wearing out the carpet from his chair to the loo.....! I keep on telling him (they live 160 miles away) to take readings every week and only use the third reading as gospel but with his now short term memory loss its not happening. Plus as I'm not a doctor his wife thinks I'm talking a load of round things when I say take readings for the professionals to review or as an early warning. Tis a worry. 

Iain

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

Petrol comes with Green Shield Stamps

Blast from the past time, Mrs, got a part time job "pumping gas" back in the 60`s when some garages STILL served you. The customers (well some) used to give her the G-S stamp`s. I think we got quite a selection of "goodies" that way.

As for B-P. I`m lucky if I can get below 140/70 on a good day, and thats on "two a day", My standing H/R can be as low as 52.

Fortunately the Upper limit for DVLA is 170/99, which is just as well as I need my C1-E for the Camper. (Over 3.5T)

Oh! and I second the oil pressure switch change, before any more expensive works.

Pete

The field that done much work on warning signals is aviation.  There, the 'monkey response', turning an alarm off before doing anything about correcting the fault, has been known for a long time.    Now, bells, buzzers and whistles are so last year!

Instead, you get a verbal or other warning, that only lasts a few seconds and leaves a visual signal on the dash.  You may have heard, I hope not in real life, the usual "Pull UP! Pull UP!" alert if the aircraft is too low or diving too fast, or the nonverbal Stall Warning, the Stick Shaker.

Medical monitors have followed this trend. Instead of the beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep of yore, they now give a short audio alert, often discriminating if the problem is vascular respiratory or other, and highlighting the problem reading on the screen.    So doctors and nurses, or pilots, can deal with the problem, not the alarm!

Over the top, maybe for what we deal with, but anyway!

John

Update.

10/10 to Mr Lewis. It looks like it was a faulty switch. No flickering at warm idle with the new one fitted.

I also checked the oil pressure, not sure that I entirely believe the accuracy of China’s finest gauge but little doubt that I have oil circulating.

Many thanks to all.

AF7062EF-66B8-4EC1-B542-12CC5A091420.jpeg

2 hours ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

also checked the oil pressure, not sure that I entirely believe the accuracy of China’s finest gauge but little doubt that I have oil circulating

Is that the indicated pressure at idle!?!? 

Iain 

Sorry Johny I didn't scroll down and see your post.