TRIUMPH HERALD SPEEDO

foshi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

mk2 spit is the same as the mk1, no voltage regulator. I'm guessing it's late mk1 vitesse 1600 as he says the car has a vitesse dash so probably came with that, we need the tpm

Of course! I was remembering incorrectly that the earlier Vitesse has the big single speedo, like the Herald but a higher max speed. Forgot about the later ones!

well looking  like a rebuild not a 1600 vitesse . the problem is it may well have been set up for the diff, as my previous post no history with the car other than a hand written note book that looks years old stating 1500tc engine gearbox uprated diff have yet to find out what diff i have , can say very very fast off the line as a mini cooper driver found out on my first run on public roads sunday, he actually flashed me to pull over asking what the hell engine i had , stating could not be a 12/50 as badged. was  peed off  that a herald had out run him and going up hill. still not been out on a main drag yet so may well run out of steam at 50mph once i get my speedo sorted will know . paul

yes need to find out your exact set up as no point repairing or buying the wrong speedo. Might get a bit complicated as the drive gear in the gearbox could also affect the speedo required. Youre best solution might be to get the back wheels off the ground so that an assistant can turn them while you count the cable drive turns?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Looks like Toledo / Dolomite or one of the other saloons?

I'm fairly sure the Toledo one was only two gauges. The square-headlight Dolomites may have had three (it's a long time since I owned one) but definitely not an oil pressure one. I'd suspect the same of the low-end 2000 versions. It's a bit of a puzzle.

i  like the gauge with the oil pressure incorporated  just cant place what car it was fitted too , shame i had no history with the car was well looked after at some point in its life no welding on the chassis from new .

triumph had more speedos with various TPM rather than do any drive gearing changes 

the big saloon boxes have a  small variety of pinions but most small boxes only had very little 

so the tpm changed on any tyre diff ratio, gearbox type  in the parts lists they breed like rabbits 

have to say on trucks before electronic drives with wildly varying drive lines  we had a range of pinions mounted in an eccentric hsg. so you could keep the mesh correct with the change of pinion tooth count/diameter  and just one speedo tpm  all history now 

Pete

15 hours ago, NonMember said:

I'm fairly sure the Toledo one was only two gauges. The square-headlight Dolomites may have had three (it's a long time since I owned one) but definitely not an oil pressure one. I'd suspect the same of the low-end 2000 versions. It's a bit of a puzzle.

I couldn't find an exact match - some very close, but not exact. Landrovers had three, but marked Landrover and in any case they had amps / volts as the third gauge, same as some Dolomite versions, but I did manage to find one with the oil pressure gauge. The question is however: is it original? It matches the speedo but in any case doesn't match the face markings on Foshi's photo. I'd actually like one of those for the Herald...

8243900799_2d7c1b31b0_c.jpg.d036155fe19abd3ae9ce305b46d983c8.jpg.

Interesting photo Colin. However, with the addition of after-market lights on the dashboard - to replace the ones that were in the multi-gauge originally - I strongly suspect that's not original. The Toledo parts catalogue shows part 215859, which has only two gauges top and bottom with indicator tell-tales to the left and right.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Interesting photo Colin. However, with the addition of after-market lights on the dashboard - to replace the ones that were in the multi-gauge originally - I strongly suspect that's not original. 

It's not, Rob. I did some further digging, I've found the photo is from a post on another forum dating from 2011 and the owner refers to it as modified, but very cryptically states that this gauge is available as a Smiths' product - but doesn't say what from! Now I really want to find one! There are plenty with volts or amps but the oil pressure appeals.