Vitesse hi-beam H1 bulbs - recommendations?

Colin Lindsay

20 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I swopped the sealed beam units for the halogen fitting from an old Toyota that I was trading in.

The PO of my Vitesse fitted halogen units from a Honda Civic. They were super bright back then but had corroded a bit so I've now replaced them.

17 hours ago, PeteH said:

Am I correct, in saying a recent change of law/ruling? will now allow the use of LED`s for "classic" headlight units?

I think it was more a clarification than a change but yes.

On 12/09/2022 at 11:15, NonMember said:

Be aware that doing so is in violation of construction and use regulations. You are only allowed two dip beam lights.

My Vitesse has recently had new H1 inners (I think I'd bought them for the Stag, or at least while I had it) and they show up the elderly H4 outers somewhat.

Not sure you are correct.  My Stag is modded so that all 4 come on on dipped beam.  MOT'd annually with no problems.

it fitted my Vitesse upwith all 4 on dip  the mot never querried it as they check inners and outers on their own 

so a flick to main and thats what they tested    the fact it would be on for dip as well did not materiaise

in the old C& U regs it was the max wattage on dip that used to be quoted at 55watts max on dip   thats probably a bit historic  now 

with LED the wattage is so small  a 55wat LED would make a good searchlight  Ha !

Pete

On 20/09/2022 at 18:10, clive said:

then liberally sprayed with protective wax. They haven't gone rusty. In fact, any underbonnect connections get a squirt  of aerosol protective wax to help keep the connections good. No downside.

Been using aerosol grease on every connection I can access for past 9 years, now and again. No issues with any connections so far. They were in good nick to start with. Car has lived outside during this time, under a cover  

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

with LED the wattage is so small  a 55wat LED would make a good searchlight  Ha

I beleive that some disscusion is current with regard to using Lumens. Instead of wattage?.

I think as a rule of thumb a ratio of about 10:1 seems to be the measure in watts?.

5 hours ago, Sue Franklin said:

Not sure you are correct.  My Stag is modded so that all 4 come on on dipped beam.  MOT'd annually with no problems.

The MOT does not check the whole of the C&U by a very large margin!

There is (or certainly was when I last checked) a rule that states you must not have more than four total lights displayed to oncoming traffic, which includes side lights. Four mains is OK because you dip, don't dazzle, so the main beam is not "displayed to oncoming traffic". The rule is certainly applied at type approval (although the definition of what constitutes "a light" gets interesting when strips of LEDs are used). It's pretty unlikely any owner-modified wiring would ever get it enforced.