Spitfire Mk3 sun visors

Joachim Moeller

Hi all! Next problem/riddle... my Mk3 project should have the sun visors that can be "pushed to the side". So I provided myself with the fitting kit from Rimmers and while all the mounting points are there on the frame it's the visors that just don't line up. When they are fixed on the outside they point about 10cm (or 4") above the fixing in the middle. I've changed and re-changed all parts but with no success. Where is the problem or is it me having a brain failure? The fixings on my GT6 MkI were easy compared to those on the Spitfire... perhaps I should go for the early version (same as GT6 MkI)... Cheers Joachim

The sun visors that are sold for the Spit MkIII nowadays are actually those for a TR4. I bought some but in the end decided not to bother fitting them. My guess here is that the subtle variations between the various Spitfire and TR windscreen frames mean that whatever you have fitted is not quite right for the sun visors you have. But I could well be wrong. 

Hi Josef,

that is my guess too. When you compare the original parts number for the Spitfire Mk3 holders - well they are different to the numbers that are sold (I should have had a look earlier). The angle just isn't right. I think I will go fishing for the older holders. I was lucky to find a set for my GT6 years ago at the Intrenational in Stafford (those were the times..)

Cheers Joachim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DanMi said:

I really don't see the point in sun visors for a MK1-3. They were optional extras and the screen is so small anyway that they are not needed when the roof is on and completely pointless when it is off.

I have the same opinion on the later spitfires too.

I just have my CT sunstrip, and like Colin, a cap for keeping the sun out of my eyes. 

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

I really don't see the point in sun visors for a MK1-3. They were optional extras and the screen is so small anyway that they are not needed when the roof is on and completely pointless when it is off.

Probably the same as on the Herald, but if you fold them up it keeps the wind off your forehead.