How best to flush out a gearbox/ overdrive

Tipidave

I am making progress with my three rail d type overdrive that will go into my Herald 1200. 

I have drained out the old oil and it looked reasonably clean with no nasties in it. The magnetic sump plug had scavenged just a very few bits of fine metal adhering to the magnet.

I have removed the overdrive filter and cleaned both it and the magnetic rings. It did have small amount of grey sludge no sign of black clutch material so I am guessing not significant and nothing untoward. 

so… my question is do I need to flush both through with either duck oil or paraffin or similar? To be belt and braces, Or just refill with EP90 when the time comes? 

26 minutes ago, Tipidave said:

I am making progress with my three rail d type overdrive that will go into my Herald 1200. 

I have drained out the old oil and it looked reasonably clean with no nasties in it. The magnetic sump plug had scavenged just a very few bits of fine metal adhering to the magnet.

I have removed the overdrive filter and cleaned both it and the magnetic rings. It did have small amount of grey sludge no sign of black clutch material so I am guessing not significant and nothing untoward. 

so… my question is do I need to flush both through with either duck oil or paraffin or similar? To be belt and braces, Or just refill with EP90 when the time comes? 

I would just refil with some ep80/90 GL4. If worried, drain it after a few runs

I would also store it with at least some oil in it. 

you could check th baulk rings are not bottomed out  by just lifting the top cover 

i would go with clive  just fill with ep90 GL4 oil and see how she runs 

best not to store a box up ended any debris goes into the input bearing 

the awful gunge on the filter rings is pretty normal 

Pete