Garage Heater

Paul H

11 hours ago, steveo said:

Looks like I will be servicing it myself as I have done for the last 7 years since the bloke that did it retired due to poor health, always thought if I can rebuild a car/motorbike from end to end I can service a oil fire, lots of info online as well.

Problem with that is the buyer usually requires proof of servicing, by a 'qualified agent.' Easy to do in all probability but not to the 'recognised standard' especially for solicitors and mortgage providers. I had to get a stove installer out to refit a woodburning stove that I'd been using for twenty years in my last house, as I had no certificate of installation due to being fitted by a mate and I. 

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Problem with that is the buyer usually requires proof of servicing, by a 'qualified agent.' Easy to do in all probability but not to the 'recognised standard' especially for solicitors and mortgage providers. I had to get a stove installer out to refit a woodburning stove that I'd been using for twenty years in my last house, as I had no certificate of installation due to being fitted by a mate and I. 

Our buyer is in so much of a rush to buy the house she is not having any searches / Surveys done, hopefully they will overlook the lack of paperwork for the fire!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveo said:

Our buyer is in so much of a rush to buy the house she is not having any searches / Surveys done, hopefully they will overlook the lack of paperwork for the fire!

You lucky man!! I had so many it was a nightmare, we had very fussy and suspicious buyers, but the survey we had done for the house we're now in was a complete laugh.

"The house has double glazing, but I'm not a glazier so cannot comment on the condition or efficiency. The house has three bathrooms but as I am not a plumber I cannot comment on condition. The house has wooden fascia but as I am not a carpenter I cannot comment on condition." This continued for about eight pages, complete with photos, and cost me over £200. I could have done it myself but as I'm not a surveyor, I couldn't...

• Haha 3

I think what helps is the house has been in our family for 40 years & we have everything done and its as good as a 70,s bungalow could get, we moved in 9 years ago after my nan died at 101 years old & my mum & dad inherited it.

Dad was a builder and always maintained it for nan & grandad (who was pretty handy but tight) so the bones of the place were good it just needed updating, as luck would have it the local Homebase closed down just before we moved in & we got a £4500 ex display kitchen for £800, lots of bits came from ebay like the fire place surround for £12, French doors for £130, guess granddads being "careful" with money has rubbed off on me!

Got talking to the bloke doing the survey for the buyer when we sold our last house & asked him if he would do this one for me, when I told him it had been in the family from 1983 he told me not to have a survey as we knew the place & told me a few things to look for, like is the roof line straight, have any rafters been cut in the loft, any cracks around windows/doors, have there been any drainage problems etc.

Estate agent said the place was a credit to me & wished all property's he went to see were as good, as I now only work part time I have the time to spend doing jobs on the house & making it nice, properly helps I have been unofficially diagnosed with OCD, this may explain why I feel the need to have everything perfect & wash/hoover my old pickup 3 or 4 times a week!

Stopped snowing now so going outside to clean the pickup (not joking!)

Cheers, Steve.    

Some of the surveys from colleagues houses have been a waste of time;

"Floor not inspected due to the presence of fitted carpets"

"Roof space not inspected due as there was no ladder"

"None to my knowledge but purchaser should commission further testing"

The result was that when I purchased my present property about 6 years ago, I performed my own survey using the knowledge I had gained over the previous 40 years of home ownership and DIY. As mentioned earlier is the roof line straight, have any rafters been cut in the loft, any cracks around windows/doors etc. As it was a cash purchase, no building society was involved.  If I had found anything of concern, then I would have sort expert help but fortunately no faults were revealed and nothing has come to light over the last six years.

Much more straight forward here - we don't do them 😁

There is the standard protection for a buyer against hidden faults you can't see as you go round. 'Vice caché'. Any major work carried out by a professional legally has a 10 year guarantee.

The first time we bought here on the day we signed the initial contract the agent got his calendar out counted 3 months and said the sale would be completed that week, he apologise he couldn't be more precise. Yes, he was right and it held true for the sale of that house & purchase of this one. It also worked for the house my wife bought as a workshop and again for its sale.

Oh, something you will like - once both parties have agreed should either pull out they have to pay 10% of the price in compensation. Both parties can put clauses into the contract to cover eventualities such as not getting a loan. For us we stipulated that both of us should be alive and for the purchase of this house that the other was sold within a period of 6 months, the seller had to accept that. It turned out not to be a problem as we sold in less than 1 week. . .

Ca, c'est la vie en rose!

Oh, there are surveys for lead, energy efficiency and electrical conformity - forgot about those, but everyone just shrugs and files them 🙄

If you have a couple of weeks, and a Post as long as--------------forever. I could talk you through the "joys" of demolition, and replacement with a ground up self build. Short version:- It "only" took 2+ years, from moving on site to moving in and I did the vast majority of the work single handed beyond the facing brickwork, roofing and the basic timber frame which was custom built. But what a roller coaster ride. Starting with something called "running sand", which required reinforced foundations = 16 x 9 Metre Piles and a reinforced ring beam. 11 grand underground @ 1998 prices, before we even put a brick above!. 2 winters, one very wet, one similar to this, In which come Mid January, we just shut the site down and went to Spain `till Easter in the R-V. We lived in that, on site and a 26ft Static as Office come Utility/storage space. What we finished up with was "ours" right down to the last nail and screw. But 10 years later the whole plot (circa 1/3acre) and 2000sq ft on 1-1/2 floors, was deemed too much and we downsized to what SWMBO, describes as "her dolls house". Dealing with, Planning (bunch of maddening barstewards), Building reg`s, Great Bloke, went out of his way to make sure it was right, without getting too "jobsworth". Power, Gas, Water they all had countless acres of paper, and inspections to satisfy!. AND the VAT!. What you can claim for, what you can`t claim for, the final assessment filled two big lever arch files!!, which I had to take to Stockport!. But we got back all but a few quid of what we claimed.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...