Bolt loose under fan pulley

gt6j

Unfortunately that is a very common failure because it screws into an aluminium 'bridge' piece behind. The two bolts below that fix the sump go into the same piece and can also strip very easily. Replacement pieces are available in aluminium or even steel but its quite a big job to change so I have drilled and retapped all three holes in-situ so that M10 allen socket head bolts can be used.

• Like 1

In order to tap it out you will have to remove the pulley.  Looks like sealant until it leaks. If it does try tapering a larger diameter screw and cutting slots in it so that it 'Self taps'. It works in soft material so could be ok into aluminium.

On the Vitesse I had to remove the radiator to be able to get a drill in to open up the front cover hole. Cant see why a helicoil couldnt be used - have to look at the size of drill required and, if doing it with the steel cover/sump in place, theres still the problem of its hole having to be as big as the major diameter of the tapping thread. Then of course any bolt used would need a washer to ensure it covers said hole...

If it's not leaking oil, but merely refusing to tighten fully, I'd try some kind of thread lock adhesive; coat the bolt, tighten by hand until it's as tight as it will go then leave to set. If it does start to leak, and it won't be a catastrophic leak just a drip, then look at longer-term solutions.

• Like 2

I've modified around 3 originals during engine rebuilds by Heli-Coiling all the threads with the same UNF thread even the blind hoes but make sure the Helicoil insert is not protruding above the surface of the Sealing block. I used the shortest length Heli-Coil possible. It makes the fitted thread a lot more durable against gorilla hands. 

• Like 1