Stainless steel braided hoses, too short ???

alan.gilbert_6384

Hi All,

So after a complete braking system rebuild pipes hoses seals etc, tested yesterday and functions correctly, BUT..........

Just after a second opinion, I think these new front hoses, as supplied by Mev spares, are way too short.  I will try to contact him but dont hold out much hope as he does not answer either the get in touch thing on the web site or the phone.

What do you guys think ?IMG_3554.jpg.3c6fa00533c1b3d70d56414add48fdc1.jpgIMG_3553.jpg.d170675e532c0b9272cfdb8cf87aabf3.jpgIMG_3549.jpg.2bebbbf419189a72b5f6cb6bceeaefd3.jpgIMG_3552.jpg.e9b37f3a5f22e8f35eff38c92091608c.jpg

Not sure on your car but mine has a short solid pipe into the caliper itself and the hose joins to that on a bracket mounted on one of the caliper fixing bolts. Certainly I wouldnt have expected your new hoses to seal directly onto the caliper body with that copper washer....

does seem a tad  on the tight side

the threaded end of a pipe union or direct in the caliper are going to be very differing   end fitting 

the copper washer is normal for a flat face union a pipe union needs a flared ended flexi to seal with a sleeve nut /pipe

so whats been supplied looks installed ok but  yes  a bit tight routed , what happens on full bump /rebound ??

Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

does seem a tad  on the tight side

the threaded end of a pipe union or direct in the caliper are going to be very differing   end fitting 

the copper washer is normal for a flat face union a pipe union needs a flared ended flexi to seal with a sleeve nut /pipe

so whats been supplied looks installed ok but  yes  a bit tight routed , what happens on full bump /rebound ??

Pete

Hi Pete,

It looks just about ok / marginal when hanging, this is how its been for a couple of months keeping the tyres off the ground during winter.  Installation is per spitfire 1500 1976.  They measure 23mm shorter than the Goodridge stainless steel ones that came off.

26 minutes ago, johny said:

Not sure on your car but mine has a short solid pipe into the caliper itself and the hose joins to that on a bracket mounted on one of the caliper fixing bolts. Certainly I wouldnt have expected your new hoses to seal directly onto the caliper body with that copper washer....

Hi sorry should of said its Spitfire 1500 76

yes I see now the Spitfire does have the hoses installed directly and the part number is GBH216 however there is another, shorter, hose with the same ends, GBH204, that is used for the rear brakes on earlier Spitfires. Even so I think youve got the right hoses but its interesting to see that Rimmers also offer GBH216PLUS50 which is a stainless braided Goodridge hose for Spitfire front brakes but 50mm longer - no explanation given....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, johny said:

Heres a shot from the free to download Triumph workshop manual that covers Spitfires (not 1500) showing an original hose installation (although the calipers look like type 12) and I reckon thats with the wheel off the ground....

image.png.555736c8a7cae3695437af34445edef8.png

Cheers, yes i think that is of the ground.  Really interesting that bit about trimmers +50, the invoice from MEV spares says 216

Those hoses are too short. This isn't uncommon. The GT6/Vitesse arrangement stresses the hoses less but on the Spitfire/Herald you do need extra long hoses for full lock, and they end up being rather floppy at the other extreme of lock. Many suppliers just make them too short.

15 minutes ago, johny said:

Think the suspension is more loaded in Alans photo then in the manual so the bottom arm is horizontal and the top arm angled upwards more meaning the top ball joint will have changed position to suit.... 

surely the diagram would be with the car at rest, just as the car is above. The lower arm should angle down, I think that this has lowered springs, so the calliper is higher than the hose mount point when it should be lower, thus the hose needs to be longer. I had this on my car until I eventually swopped to adjustable seat height shocks.

2 minutes ago, DanMi said:

surely the diagram would be with the car at rest, just as the car is above. The lower arm should angle down, I think that this has lowered springs, so the calliper is higher than the hose mount point when it should be lower, thus the hose needs to be longer. I had this on my car until I eventually swopped to adjustable seat height shocks.

Its at nominal height, ie as all spitfires with our bum 5 inches off the ground ;)

13 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Those hoses are too short. This isn't uncommon. The GT6/Vitesse arrangement stresses the hoses less but on the Spitfire/Herald you do need extra long hoses for full lock, and they end up being rather floppy at the other extreme of lock. Many suppliers just make them too short.

Fortunately, I think the worst scenario of full lock and full suspension compression is pretty unlikely but of course the risk assessment depends on the owner....

34 minutes ago, DanMi said:

I dont think ride height makes any difference to the hose length required as its really the shock that determines suspension travel. Really to check if the hose is long enough you need to move the suspension, minus its spring, up and down by hand at both full locks....