Vitesse Hood Fixings

Phil C

Morning All

Just planning fitting a new hood to the Vitesse (when the weather warms up!) and trying to source all the necessary fixings.

There was no hood with the car but luckily it did come with a hood cover which helped me identify the 28No male stud locations on the body, 16 outside and 12 inside.

My conclusions regarding these fixings is as follows but I note some suppliers simply provide a bag of pop-rivets which is a cheaper option. Any advice/experience/alternatives?

• The 12No hood to tub/chrome trim fixed with screw/nut.
  • 6No holding the top of the rear seat fixed with self tappers.
  • Remainder of body stud fixed with pop rivets. 

However where I am really struggling is to understand the how, when erected, the hood is secured to the body between the end of the tub/chrome trim and the B-post as shown below. I can't see any poppers on the hood but surely it has a some fixing

f0446d6d40b6c1d41ef14a95a3b61b4a_354110.jpeg.ecffadbf978cfa357bfc3ccd5e267140.jpeg.

Also the chrome trim above the rear window. It looks nice/original but requires putting holes through the hood 😳. Is this a good idea?

If I was to fit this trim I understand the ends can be secured with self-tappers (?) but what are the other central fixings? Are they the same type as those fixing the side trims/mouldings, i.e. creating a push-fit?

Any help, as usual, very much appreciated. Thanks.

There are no fixings between the end of the rear lower stainless finisher and the bottom of the Hood Frame adjacent to the rear corner of the Door window.

It relies on tension, there is a flap on the inside of the hood that folds over the inside of the hood well steelwork secured by 'U' shaped clips to keep the tension

Regards

Gary

• Thanks 1

Phil, The hood finishing trim is indeed fixed through the hood, but I've never had a leak from that area. Just make sure the countersunk screw headsare flush or slightly recessed into the strip when fitted, otherwise they will scratch the small hood windows when folded. The trimmers who fitted my last hood lost the correct screws and fitted incorrect items.....Grr....

Also, before you fit your hood make sure you're happy with the frame fit particularly around the rear of the door windows, to minimise leaks past the seals and wind noise etc.

• Thanks 1

I used nuts and bolts for the outer hood fixings and the chrome trim, just push through and slide the nut on the inside.

IMG_2366.thumb.jpeg.83b5625ae9b5887c5b653a02cade25ff.jpeg

For securing the hood at the B-post (and depending on who made the hood) some will reach the popper that holds the hood bag cover on, while others have a long cloth strip hanging down that's supposed to close in the gap between the door and the B-post and be held in place.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, all very useful.

23 hours ago, NonMember said:

not a case of how the fabric is attached "when erected" - it's a permanent attachment that remains when stowed.

Ah, I didn't realise it was permanently fixed in this area.

21 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

there is a flap on the inside of the hood that folds over the inside of the hood well steelwork secured by 'U' shaped clips to keep the tension

I was given an unused hood by the PO (but it is 30 years old!) and looking at that I see that it has the internal flap referred to. I guess this folds around the highlighted bit below and the 'U' clips fit the recessed edge? However, although unused I don't intend using this hood due to its age/condition so will have to check this detail with any new supplier.

Image24-02-2023at11_39.thumb.jpeg.ab877575262fa595c294c81dead4af25.jpeg

20 hours ago, trigolf said:

The hood finishing trim is indeed fixed through the hood, but I've never had a leak from that area

Besides the two countersunk screws at either end what else hold the trim in place?

• Like 1

Phil

Yes, that is the location were the hood flap is fixed with about 5 or 6 'U' clips per side

With regards to the hood Tonneau Top Hat fixings, 3.5mm Screws, as used for fixing Domestic Switches/Sockets are a nice snug fit in the poppers.

I got a box of 50 complete with Nuts and flat washers from an Electrical Wholesaler for fitting the Top hats were you can access the rear to fit the nut, they are Bright zinc plated and wont rust.

Regards

Gary  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Phil C said:

Ah, I didn't realise it was permanently fixed in this area.

Fixed in a fairly loose manner - I realise I may have implied more. As Gary said, it's fixed low down, plus front (to the frame) and back (to the deck) so that it can fold away when down but get pulled straight when up.

• Thanks 1