GT6 Propshaft Removal

I need to get the prop out of my Rotoflex GT6 Mk3 to replace the universal joints. Simple question... Is it necessary to take the tunnel cover out to release the bolts connecting prop to overdrive flange,  or can this be done from under the car? It's so long since I've done this job I can't remember,  and taking out the tunnel cover is one of my least favourite jobs! 

Thanks in advance, 

Nigel

I've always been confused by people who go through the hassle of removing the gearbox tunnel to remove the prop shaft bolts.  I mean you need to go under the car to do the rear ones/actually remove the prop. so for me easier to just do the front ones from the same position.

I guess if you're just unbolting at the gearbox end to remove the gearbox it's easier - but I'd still prefer to remove both prop. and exhaust to do that job as I know if I don't I will smack one of them with the gearbox, probably with my fingers between gearbox and whatever I hit!

19 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

Thank you gents. I hate removing the tunnel cover, especially the two screws at the top going through the bulkhead, so I'm going to try from underneath.

Nigel

When I recently put my tunnel back, I put rivnuts on those two top screw holes and used thumb screws to secure it. This will make it easier when I have to take it off/replace it.

Danny

16 minutes ago, dannyb said:

When I recently put my tunnel back, I put rivnuts on those two top screw holes and used thumb screws to secure it. This will make it easier when I have to take it off/replace it.

Danny

Thank you, that's a great idea, I'm going to try that.

Nigel